Author Topic: Does SlickEdit license travel with the Employee when he quits employement ?  (Read 2159 times)

srp

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
My employer bought a Slickedit license for me. In future when I quit my employment, with this employer, can I still continue use this license legally at whichever new employer that I start working or does this license stay with my previous employer so that he can provide it to whoever replaces me ?

bensch128

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
IANAL but I doubt it.
If your employer bought the license, then he/she legally owns it.
OTOH, If you leave there on good terms, maybe you can negotiate a license transfer as a "Golden Parachute"..  ;)

Cheers
Ben

Silas Tomkyn Combermache

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
I am not a lawyer either but a couple of years of business law and income tax study six months ago tell me it is not that simple. Sure, the employer paid for the software, but if the license is in the employee's name it could be easily argued that the employer gifted the license to the employee, specially in the absence of any SIGNED agreement, or contract to the contrary, then I feel that it is the employee's property. Possession is strong medicine in our legal system. I know your conscience is clear about the taxes, right? ;D  This is income and should be declared on your tax return (really).
It the end however, SlickEdit decides who owns the software because nobody in their right mind would hire a lawyer to contest any decision of this value.