Author Topic: Missing Help ...  (Read 2269 times)

rgloden

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
Missing Help ...
« on: February 06, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »
It appears Help search is not finding everything. 

I was attempting to walk through the key bindings (as a learning experience) and noticed that some of the commands bound to keys are not found by searching Help.

Examples:
   rexx-star
   doZeroData
   doDead

Something else that was confusing is that the generated "keychart.html" listed the bound key commands with dash separators and Help lists them as underscores, e.g. next-sexp vs next_sexp

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: Missing Help ...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »
Added help for rexx_star. I don't think doZeroData and doDead are commands that ship with SlickEdit. I couldn't find them.

Dashes vs underscores: Emacs implementations do this as well (dash on command line/text docs but underscore in source code). Dashes are more readable (especially with some fonts!) and easier to type. In source code, underscores are always used to avoid the ambiguities with mathematical minus sign. From the command line, you can use either. When looking in the on-line help, always use underscores. Arguably, all commands could just never use underscores and use mixed case words (i.e. NextWord) but underscores/dashes are more readable (simulate a space to the eye). At this point, it's unlikely we will ever change this because it would frustrate many customers who are used to how this works now.

rgloden

• Hero Points: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:16:20 PM »
Oops  :-[ ... doZeroData and doDead seems to be recorded macros in my vusrmacs.e which gets inserted into the keychart if they are bound to keys.

Oh ... it might be nice if HELP also mention the ability to generate the keychart.html for showing current key bindings.  It took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to do this again ... and would have given up except that I found a copy that I had saved proving to myself that I wasn't dreaming.  Its kind of hiding on the Options->Key Bindings dialogue.

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.2.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 09:41:27 PM »
RE: keychart.html
You just reminded me of this feature! But it's a fairly long page, and I'm wondering if the SE devs can add to their to-do list some logic for putting shortcut anchors at the top of the page to the various language & mode specific sections in the page, and perhaps also an in-page title, e.g. "CUA Emulation".