Author Topic: Add to project setting in new file dialog  (Read 8101 times)

Ian P

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Add to project setting in new file dialog
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:18:15 PM »
When I first started using SlickEdit I could create a new unnamed "file" (buffer) to temporarily hold some text via the New File dialog, but now when that dialog opens it has "Add to project" checked and won't let me create an unnamed file unless I uncheck that first. Not a big deal, but I didn't have to do that previously, and I think that it started happending then I upgraded from 12.0.1 to 12.0.2.

Is there a way to configure it to not have "Add to project" checked by default in the New File dialog?

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Add to project setting in new file dialog
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 12:21:26 AM »
I've added the 'new-file' command as button to the toolbar besides the fully featured 'new' command.
It just adds an unnamned buffer w/o any prompting.
See View>Toolsbars>Customize>Categories tab->Files and Buffers -> the icon w/ the green plus-sign.
HS2

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:04:15 PM »
This was an intended change in 12.0.2.  The "Add to project" checkbox will be automatically checked if you currently have a project open.  Our logic was that if you have a project open and you're trying to create a new file, chances are that you're adding it to your current project.  Obviously, that's not going to be true 100% of the time, but we try to create usability rules that will be true most of the time for most users. 

I often create unnamed buffers frequently for notes and such.  HS2's tip sounds like a great one for that purpose.  In fact, I'll probably be using that idea myself.  8)

Steve Black

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »
That sounds like a reasonable approch.  Except...

In my case I never want to add the new file to my project because I always use wildcards and Directory view.  It would be helpful if there were a way (i.e. a 'def-' macro variable) to change the default to 'off'.

Of course, it would also be helpful to have a setting to automatically refresh the project view when adding a new file.   :)

(BTW, thanks to Ian P for saying out loud what I had just been thinking all day!)

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:52:41 PM »
We did change the default in v12.0 for this. It seems like people are divided on whether they more frequently add to projects or not. We have a setting to control the default state of "Add to project" on the "Save As" dialog: Tools > Options > File Options, Save tab, "Add file to project upon Save As".

Maybe we should change this to "Add to project by default" and have this control all "Add to project" checkboxes. This would then affect "Save As", File > New, creating new files through Code Templates.

Let me know what you think.

--Scott

Steve Black

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:07:45 PM »
That seems logical , and it would work fine for me.

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 06:55:32 PM »
This idea for controlling the default sounds good to me. I use wildcards in my projects.

Then again, I virtually never use File > New.  When creating temp files, I invoke gui-open and type in the file name and go from there.

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

Ian P

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 07:53:55 PM »
That sounds logical, although Hs2's suggestion above is ideal for what I want to do.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 07:58:18 PM by Ian P »

maui

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »
Deciding what is the best way for me to use something without giving me a way to alter the behavior to my preference is the quickest way to get me to switch to a different product.  I'm glad people give thought to these issues but please give me a way to set the options without going through additional steps every time I use it.

I create at least 100 times more temporary buffers to every file I add to project, so clicking the checkbox to turn it off is just frustrating to me. hs2's suggestion will work but now I have to adapt to the program instead of the program adapting to my preferences.

I like Scott's suggestion or how about just remembering the setting of the check box and use that the next time the dialog is invoked?  That way everyone can set it the way they want it without being forced to do it one or the other.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 06:56:05 PM by maui »