Author Topic: How to get file tabs at top of page, not bottom  (Read 39786 times)

Ding Zhaojie

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 37
Re: How to get file tabs at top of page, not bottom
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 06:14:35 AM »
Hi, I think can't catch your meaning. To place the file tabs in UltraEdit to bottom you should drag it to there, too. What's the different with the SE's?

And, you can change the new file button in toolbar to "new-file" command (I hate the default new button, too). It just works as the "New File" button in UE exactly.

btw, I'm a UE fans before. You can see I changed the button icons and my file tabs to the UE style :D. I agree "Most real programmers do more than just write code.", but SE is just the very editor to let real programmers do more! ;D

The tab refuses to be dragged anywhere. Besides, drag and drop is just retarded.  I should never be forced to use the mouse and I should be able to specify where the tabs go and forget about it.  And the Help system is useless and says zip about file tabs.  I bought SlickEdit because it was much better at handling different programming languages than most, but I am being forced to go back to UltraEdit simply because its usefulness and user-friendliness are just so much better, despite its feeble support for programming languages.  I am giving up SE's language support because it just isn't very good as a general text editor.  Most real programmers do more than just write code.

BTW, why can't I open a new buffer in SE without being forced to choose a file type?  Ever heard of late binding?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:43:07 AM by Ding Zhaojie »

StephenW

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 09:26:17 PM »
4. the way to mark the modified file is customizable. I don't like to use the modified line color, but prefer the UE style (add a "*" after name). I hope there would have an option to satisfy me

I think that you would find it annoying after a while to have the extra * on a file name cause the tabs to become bigger and therefore fewer tabs to be able to be displayed in the available space.  I know I would - I always want many more tabs than I can have at present.

Ding Zhaojie

• Hero Points: 37
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 01:32:40 AM »
I hacked the file tabs and use that style since SE v9, it works fine. If your screen is wide enough the extra "*" will not take too much place. And you might not have too many files unsaved at same time (for me the unsaved file will not more than 3 or 4. I often press Ctrl+S :D).
Another way to avoid the tabs scroll is changing the tab control to SSTAB_MULTIROW_BESTFIT. So it will not show the scroll buttons but adjust the tabs width to fit them in screen.
The reason why I hate using the modified line color because I prefer to use light colors to mark the modified line (just like SourceInsight or Eclipse). But the light colors make the tab unreadable.
4. the way to mark the modified file is customizable. I don't like to use the modified line color, but prefer the UE style (add a "*" after name). I hope there would have an option to satisfy me

I think that you would find it annoying after a while to have the extra * on a file name cause the tabs to become bigger and therefore fewer tabs to be able to be displayed in the available space.  I know I would - I always want many more tabs than I can have at present.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:34:16 AM by Ding Zhaojie »

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 07:03:05 AM »
If the 'modified' color isn't the desired one you could use an alternative hack: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1808.msg7640#msg7640 ;)
HS2

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 01:24:38 PM »
3. place the close button at the right of the file tabs bar, but not the menu bar, or both?

You can close a buffer by middle clicking on the buffer tab.  There is no 'x', which would indeed take up more space, but the middle mouse button IMHO is a great alternative!

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 07:24:53 PM »
@daviecj

As a self-confessed keyboard oriented programmer, why are you focused on the file tabs anyway?  Certainly, you do not use the file tabs to switch between files -- that requires using the mouse.  The file tabs tool window was put in place as a simple solution for novice users or users who wanted a tabbed document view.  It is not perfect, but it has served it's purpose quite well.

Look in the help (Contents > User Interface > Buffers and Editor Windows).  Here you will find thorough documentation on switching between files and buffers, including the command names and default CUA key bindings for most operations.  Most really keyboard focused users of SlickEdit do not use the file tabs at all.  Instead, they use the buffer circle (next-buffer / prev-buffer) to swap between their most recently visited files, or they use Document > List Open Files (Ctrl+Shift+B) to bring up the file list and search incrementally to find specific files or to quickly see which files they have modified.

BTW, the only reason I could imagine that <Esc> new_file did not work for you would be if you are in VIM emulation, you need to use "Ctrl+A" to toggle to the SlickEdit command line -- <Esc> has specific purposes in VIM emulation.  In all other emulations, <Esc> will toggle you between your current editor window and the SlickEdit command line.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:29:15 PM by Dennis »

cycloptic

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »
The file tabs in SE is very similar with UltraEdit except the default direction of the tab control (but you can change it via form editor)...

Thanks for the clue on setting the tab orientation. I usually keep my tabs on top but the default bottom orientation of the filetabs bar has been annoying me for years. I didn't realize that this was just another slickedit custom form that is accessable to users. Back when this bar was added to SlickEdit, I was told by their support that it wasn't possible to change the orientation of the tabs.

It took a little while to figure out which form it was, but that was a small price to pay.

For anyone else who cares about this, the form for the filetabs bar in question is _tbbufftabs_form. Just select the tab control on the bar and edit the orientation property.

cycloptic

frakman1

• New Community Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »
If, like me, you've lost your File Tabs and want them back then do this:

1- Got menu item: View->Tool Windows->File Tabs
2- You should get a floating window with all the file tabs. Who wants that? Far better to have it at the bottom (or top) of your file.
3- Select the  two vertical lines on the left side of the window and you will see a non-intuitive GUI that allows you to snap it to various edges of the main window.
4- Drag the File Tabs window to one of those icons and the File Tabs window will be placed there.

Dennis

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »
@frakman

Thanks for posting the helpful tip, however, recent versions of SlickEdit have the document tabs built in and there is no need for the "File Tabs" tool window.  If they aren't already present, you can display the document tabs by going to "Window > Zoom Toggle".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:22:14 PM by Dennis »

CyberZombie

• Community Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »
A (minor) downside to the Document Tabs window is that it doesn't mimic the File Tabs in that a middle mouse click anywhere on the tab closes it...gotta be more careful to hit that 'X'.  :P

Dennis

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 09:30:19 PM »
Tools > Options > Editing > Editor Windows > "Tab middle-click action"

CyberZombie

• Community Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 03:56:56 AM »
Thank you very much Dennis