Author Topic: Will SlickEdit 2010 support GIT version control?  (Read 6106 times)

zhangxudong

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Will SlickEdit 2010 support GIT version control?
« on: December 25, 2009, 06:15:31 AM »
I'll use GIT manage our source, but slickedit 2009 don't support GIT. Will SlickEdit 2010 support GIT version control?

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Will SlickEdit 2010 support GIT version control?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »
We don't have that on the release plan for SlickEdit 2010. Have you tried to configure this as a command line system? You can select Tools > Version Control > Setup, put a check in "Command line systems", then click Add to set up commands for GIT. Then define commands for the key operations: checkin, checkout, etc.

Has anyone else tried setting up GIT this way? If so, can you please post the commands you used?

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
Git and other DVCSes are sufficiently different from "traditional" VCSes that I don't think you will get a satisfactory result by simply wiring up the standard SlickEdit VCS actions. You really need intelligent support for Git's way of working.

To get an idea about how Git differs from Subversion or CVS, check out http://tomayko.com/writings/the-thing-about-git.

Decent Git (and other DVCS) support would be high on my list of useful features for SlickEdit right now.

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

Bhelyer

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
Git and other DVCSes are sufficiently different from "traditional" VCSes that I don't think you will get a satisfactory result by simply wiring up the standard SlickEdit VCS actions.

This is true. I kind of got it sort of working almost once, but it wasn't really satisfactory. ;D

Shameless self promotion!

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:43:08 AM »
Hey this is awesome. I missed your original post (been off the forums for a while), so thanks for the plug!

I fired it up, and seems to work fairly well so far. Needs branch support, but I guess there's the command-line. (Bash does great auto-completion for Git branches though, better than entering them on SlickEdit command-line.)

I've been using a mixture of command-line, IntelliJ IDEA and SmartGit for my increasing number of Git projects. No clear winner so far, no one tool that gives me a seamless workflow.

I've been using Intellij IDEA 9's "Tasks/Contexts" feature a lot lately. It lets me switch between views of open sets of files. (I believe this is inspired by the Eclipse "Mylyn" plugin.) With Subversion, it also switches the default changeset for a commit. So outstanding edits are "automatically" categorized for version control by topic. It works really well.

It would be awesome if SlickEdit got such a feature, and perhaps could also combine it with topic branches in Git. There's a lot of work I'd be more inclined to do in SlickEdit if it supported that.

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand