Author Topic: ISPF prefix area  (Read 13525 times)

n8ik

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
ISPF prefix area
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
We just "upgraded" from 10.0.0 to 13.0.2.  I use ISPF emulation and my prefix area for line commands has disappeared. It shows up if I "view - line numbers" sort of. But the line commands don't work consistently.  How to restore?  TIA, Ian

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: ISPF prefix area
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:14:14 PM »
Can you post the information from Help > About SlickEdit? Also, can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing. Everything seems to be working fine when I try it. What language are you programming in?

n8ik

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
SAS on Solaris. But in a terminal window (old school) - I don't use the SAS IDE.  I've discovered that doing "View - Line Numbers" twice will open up the prefix area and remove the numbering. Would be nice if that was alway visible by default when I open a program. Also in native ISPF on a z/OS machine I only have to put a 'd' in the prefix area and hit Enter once and the line is gone. In SE the 'd' will sometimes insert a line on the first Enter and then delete with the next Enter. Kind of a waste of keystrokes. Also moving a line with 'm' or block moving lines with a pair of 'mm' either before 'b' or after 'a' a line doesn't work.  :-[

n8ik

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:10:30 PM »
Is there a way to have the prefix area always displayed when I open a program file using the ISPF emulation? Would also be nice to have the line numbers off - I never use them.  TIA.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 03:20:57 PM »
Testing this on Windows, the prefix area is always visible when I turn on ISPF emulation (see the screen shot below). Can you post screen shots of what you're seeing? Also, it would be very helpful to see the info from Help > About SlickEdit.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to address the question about line numbers.

To turn off Line numbers in v13.0.2, select Tools > Options, expand Languages > your language > View and uncheck "Line numbers". Files for which you have previously turned on line numbers will still have them on and those need to be turned of via View > Line Numbers.

n8ik

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »
here's the "Help-About"...

SlickEdit Version 13.0.2.0

Serial number: FVL79389
Licensed number of users: 5
License file: /opt/slickedit08/bin/slickedit.lic

Build Date: August 19, 2008
Emulation: ISPF

Kernel Level: 5.10
Build Version: Generic_137111-07
X Server Vendor: Citrix Systems Inc

Installation Directory: /opt/slickedit08/
Configuration Directory: /home/keithi/.slickedit/13.0.2/
Spill File: /tmp/$slk.keithi.22205

n8ik

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 03:10:49 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to address the question about line numbers.

To turn off Line numbers in v13.0.2, select Tools > Options, expand Languages > your language > View and uncheck "Line numbers". Files for which you have previously turned on line numbers will still have them on and those need to be turned of via View > Line Numbers.

I don't need the actual line numbers but do need the prefix area for line commands. For some reason when I open a file not previously opened with SE there is no prefix area until I turn line numbers on then off.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 03:15:39 PM »
Also in native ISPF on a z/OS machine I only have to put a 'd' in the prefix area and hit Enter once and the line is gone. In SE the 'd' will sometimes insert a line on the first Enter and then delete with the next Enter. Kind of a waste of keystrokes. Also moving a line with 'm' or block moving lines with a pair of 'mm' either before 'b' or after 'a' a line doesn't work. 

I wanted to address these two other problems you reported with ISPF.  I have tried to reproduce them, but could not find any problems either with the 'd' or 'm' commands.

I could create a few error cases that did do anything, but I doubt these are the issues you are seeing.

1) 'a' or 'b' inside the move block.

Code: [Select]
  mm  |    Line 1
  a   |    Line 2
  mm  |    Line 3
===== |    Line 4

2) multiple 'm' commands
Code: [Select]
   m |  Line 1
==== |  Line 2
   m |  Line 3
==== |  Line 4
   b |  Line 5

3) with multiple 'mm' commands, only the first one is processed.

Could you give me an example of what you are seeing?

Also, do you use "Enter" or the Right control key to process ISFP line commands?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:18:11 PM by Dennis »

Dennis

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 07:05:40 PM »
OK, now I see the problem.  It was specific to SAS and other modes that did not specifically have a specialized command for handling Enter.  It will be fixed in the next maintence release.

n8ik

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 05:26:09 PM »
thanks Dennis!

mcconne

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »
Hi Dennis, while you happen to be looking into the ISPF prefix area problems, I'm wondering if you could look into a problem that has been a pain for me for sometime. It must happen to me 1-5 times a day and just drives me crazy, since I lose all changes made since my previous save.  It's very easy to reproduce on any version of SE, even 14.0.1.2. Thanks

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=2074.0

n8ik

• Community Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 06:33:51 PM »
Dennis - will this fix be in 14.0.2 ?  TIA, Ian

Dennis

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 07:38:08 PM »