Author Topic: Is Slickedit 2014 on the near horizon?  (Read 26960 times)

macjohnmcc

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Is Slickedit 2014 on the near horizon?
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:45:41 AM »
I saw posts indicating that it would be in beta in the spring and has only 5 days remaining.

Looking forward to the update.

Thanks.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Is Slickedit 2014 on the near horizon?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 03:43:10 PM »
We have a little more work to do on the new UI enhancements (multi-instance tool windows, floating document group layout preferences, named layouts) before we'll be ready to release the beta. We're hoping that we'll be able to get the first beta out by the end of the month, or the first week in July. This is later than we'd originally planned, but we felt that the new layout management features would cause too much "configuration migration frustration" if we released the first beta without those features.

luoshuhui

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: -1
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:48:40 AM »
We have a little more work to do on the new UI enhancements (multi-instance tool windows, floating document group layout preferences, named layouts) before we'll be ready to release the beta. We're hoping that we'll be able to get the first beta out by the end of the month, or the first week in July. This is later than we'd originally planned, but we felt that the new layout management features would cause too much "configuration migration frustration" if we released the first beta without those features.
does slickedit 2014  support golang better?project,autocomplete.... ;D

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »
@luoshuhui:  For SlickEdit 2014, we have added project and debugger support for Go.  We previously had autocomplete - was there a particular problem you were having with it?

luoshuhui

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:49:13 AM »
autocomplete not work for me,
function/package  of sdk can not autocomplete(tag sdk's go files already),tag do not support go file? 

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:34:37 PM »
@luoshuhui:  We have found some bugs in the autocomplete for Go.  These will be corrected for the new release.

luoshuhui

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:39 AM »
@Sandra,that's great,thanks a lot

TKasparek

• Hero Points: 29
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 02:22:02 PM »
[...] hoping that we'll be able to get the first beta out by the end of the month, or the first week in July. [...]

Still on track for this week??  ;D

Being on the developing end of a lot or projects I pretty much hate it when customers pester about when something is being released. That said, SE is my favorite and the most helpful program in my software toolbox and I can't help myself.

warnerrs

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
Being on the developing end of a lot or projects I pretty much hate it when customers pester about when something is being released. That said, SE is my favorite and the most helpful program in my software toolbox and I can't help myself.

Ha! I've had to resist the urge to post this question myself. So I won't ask, I'll just say I'm really looking forward to SE2014.   ;)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »
Nothings changed. We have a little more work to do on the new UI enhancements. Otherwise, we would be ready to beta.

macjohnmcc

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 11:17:53 PM »
Yikes! My support expires in two weeks and there hasn't been a new version of SlickEdit during the past year of support.

macjohnmcc

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
I will expect to get for my money what I expect to get for my money. I have used slickedit since it was not called Visual Slickedit. I used Slickedit 1.0 on OS/2. I'm loyal but I'm not going to pay for support in a period when I get nothing. I don't make support requests.

If we can only expect up-to-date support for Visual Studio by waiting for a new version of the editor as we are going to have to for Visual Studio 2013 (and who knows about 2014) then I expect to get a new version in a timely fashion or an update to v18 to support it.

If I want a generic editor I have plenty. I have Sublime Text, Atom, VIM, Emacs, Eclipse.

Slickedit is a commercial product it's not a charity. I don't pay $60 a year just to help them out. I expect something in exchange.

Slickedit is also the most expensive editor I have ever purchased. It's a lot more expensive than any of those other editors that I listed above.

Set your own expectations but don't feel so important that you think the rest of us have to set ours to match yours.

rrspurlock

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »
I have to echo the comments above.  It's important to provide value for the support/maintenance we are paying for.  It's looking as if you are putting that at risk for many of your users.  What is the current release target for the 2014 release and on what platforms?

Rick

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
Everyone,

I have worked at SlickEdit for 12 years and in that time we have missed our planned spring upgrade cycle two times.  Each of those times SlickEdit has done the right thing for our customers, and provided them a free upgrade if their support lapsed.  Clark (SE Founder) & I are in full agreement and will honor that commitment for this cycle as well.

When the new release is available, our IT department will analyze which customers support expired and did not receive a free upgrade during their support period and will adjust their SlickEdit web account so they are able to receive it for free.  This process may take up to a week after the new version is released and we appreciate your patience, or you may contact the sales department (1-919-473-0070) and they will work to expedite your request within a day.

As for the availability of SE19.  Clark and the Engineering team are shooting for the end of July for the beta, and depending on the beta cycles the GA release should be near the end of Aug./early Sept.  We agree this is much later than prior years, but there is some complex UI work being done and we will not release the beta until we believe the quality of the code is there.

If anybody should encounter problems obtaining your free upgrade through either of these processes, please feel free to contact me directly.

We thank you and appreciate the loyalty you have intrusted in SlickEdit.

Rick Lanning
SlickEdit Inc.
Vice President of Sales
Email:   rlanning@slickedit.com
Phone:  919-473-0117

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 01:00:13 PM »
While I don't claim to know the _best_ way to communicate that, i think making a general announcement to that effect would go a long way. 

Though given the number of views this topic has received, you might have achieved that already.