Author Topic: Is Slickedit 2014 on the near horizon?  (Read 26961 times)

Gilvin

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Is Slickedit 2014 on the near horizon?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 05:16:42 AM »
Besides of VIM or anything that have tagging services, maybe SlickEdit is the only IDE I could've use on on my work, easy to use, especially for the no-brainer setup, saves a lot of time.

Well, keep up the good work.

TKasparek

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 04:28:21 PM »
[...] shooting for the end of July for the beta [...]

Thanks for the updated beta time-frame Rick! Looking forward to playing around with it.

kurtcopley

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 07:52:52 PM »
Where can I find the differences between 2013 and 2014? I am trying to determine how much the $60 is actually getting me and I couldn't find a composite listing of the improvements.

As far as SlickEdit goes, I'd never actually had any real issues with it in the past and had been using is since 2008...

I will be developing in C and Python

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
While I am nowhere near the power user some folks here are, I use SlickEdit a lot for a variety of things.  PS Scripts, .php pages, C++ programming, Cobol, you name it. 

I have found over the years that the $5/month tariff for support is more than made up for in features I never thought I'd use, but I find useful at the oddest times.

The Slick Team will publish a list of changes and improvements when they release the Beta (as they've done in the past) and you'll be able to review it yourself.  They've hinted at a variety of things, but I don't know that they've compiled the complete feature list yet.

For my purposes, the list of enhancements is irrelevant.  Even if I see nothing in there I want or need, I'll run across something useful in the next year that will make it worthwhile. And if I don't, I will the following year with VS 2015. 

Perfect?  No.  Worth $5/month?  You betcha.  And I held out when I first bought it.  Didn't buy maintenance, and wasn't eligible when it came with a feature I really needed.  I wound up buying it again.  The following year, they introduced a discount for people like me.  In short, they do the right thing, and are worthy of the investment from me.

luoshuhui

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: -1
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 02:08:52 AM »
@luoshuhui:  We have found some bugs in the autocomplete for Go.  These will be corrected for the new release.

may publish this patch?

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
@luoshuhui:  Unfortunately, the bugs were not hotfixable.  Once the beta is out, be sure to check out the improvements and help us find any continuing issues.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 12:17:47 PM »
Nothings changed. We have a little more work to do on the new UI enhancements. Otherwise, we would be ready to beta.

Any new insights on when it will be ready for beta?

johncleese

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »
Thank you for this great product. Do you guys have any plan to support rust in this version?

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 01:15:30 AM »
Thank you for this great product. Do you guys have any plan to support rust in this version?
I wondered if this was spam but I guess you're referring to this (which I never heard of)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(programming_language)

<quote>The goal of Rust is to be a good language for the creation of large client and server programs that run over the Internet</>

What languages/ platforms is it competing with?
What especially makes it suitable for internet client server systems?
How many people are using it?
Who controls the language specification?

It's unlikely that support for Rust is on the slick todo list, just guessing.

johncleese

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 02:11:10 AM »
What languages/ platforms is it competing with?
What especially makes it suitable for internet client server systems?
How many people are using it?
Who controls the language specification?
It's unlikely that support for Rust is on the slick todo list, just guessing.

Yes, that's what I meant. Rust is a system language like C, designed to be safer and with good concurrency support. It's backed by the Mozilla Foundation and is already used in several medium-sized programs (including the Rust compiler itself). I think it's pretty stable at v0.11 but not yet v1.0, which should happen this year.

I agree it's quite a minor language, it's not even in the TIOBE index (http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html) though I found another ranking based on SO and GitHub that mentions it as growing fast (http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2014/01/22/language-rankings-1-14/).

Anyway... I am a user of Slickedit for quite a few years now but never played with language support... Has anyone experience with using Slickedit with a non-supported language? For example, if functions are "fn NAME() {...}" or "fn NAME(n: uint) -> uint {...}" can Slickedit be configured to understand that and cross reference the source?

Thanks for any hint on this!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:40:24 AM by johncleese »

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
There's a tutorial on how to do it here
http://blog.slickedit.com/2008/05/tutorial-adding-language-support-to-slickedit/
but see this too
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,9794.0.html

In the tutorial, it describes what to do for logo support.  In step six (tagging support) it explains you have to write a function logo_proc_search (rust_proc_search in your case).  In logo, a function definition starts with the keyword "to" e.g.
Code: [Select]
to square
repeat 4 [forward 50 right 90]
end

and a variable declaration starts with the keyword "make" (I think), so the slick c file logo.e has this code
   // search for the next line that has either a "to" or a "make"
   int status = search("^(:b|)(to:b|make:b[\"])"fn,"@rih>Xcs");
   if (status) {
      return status;
   }

// grab the line and parse out the keyword and function name
   get_line(line);
   parse strip(line) with kw proc_name args;
   switch (lowcase(kw)) {
   case "to":
      proc_name = tag_tree_compose_tag(proc_name,"","proc",0,args);
      break;
   case "make":
      proc_name = substr(proc_name,2) :+ "(gvar)";
      break;
   }

Now here's where it gets a bit tricky.  tag_tree_compose_tag is a function that generates a function signature  e.g. for the square function above, the statement
parse strip(line) with kw proc_name args
results in kw value is "to", proc_name value is "square" and args is ""
so tag_tree_compose_tag generates a string which is the function signature for the square function.  The third argument to tag_tree_compose_tag is "proc"  - this identifies "square" has having a tagging type of "procedure".
Type fp tag_tree_compose_tag on the slick c command line to see more about it.

In the case of the "make" keyword which declares  a variable e.g. in logo
MAKE "X 100
creates a variable called X and gives it value 100
so substr(proc_name,2) strips off the leading " character resulting in proc_name becoming the string X(gvar)    - gvar identifies the tag name as a global variable. The :+ operator concatenates strings.

Slick C is very close to "C with dynamic types".  If you search the slickedit installation macros folder for _proc_search you'll see other proc_search functions. e.g. in modula.e (modula2/modula3) you'll see the code below.  The function doesn't call tag_tree_compose_tag at all - which might be because modula2 doesn't support overloaded functions.  The fifth line does this
status=search('^[ \t]*'_keywords':b:v[ \t]*[(;:]','@rhe');
This code is using "auto concatenation" of strings  -  _keywords is a string variable and '^[ \t]*' is a string so slick c lets you run them together.  The second argument to the search function is the string '@rhe'.  "help" for the slick c "search" function says that '@' means "no error message";  'r' means interpret the search string as  a regular expression using "slickedit" type regular expression; 'h' - search hidden lines; 'e' - case insensitive.

_str mod_proc_search(var proc_name,boolean find_first,_str extension)
{
   int status=0;
   _str _keywords='(PROCEDURE)';
   if ( find_first ) {
      if ( proc_name:=='' ) {
         status=search('^[ \t]*'_keywords':b:v[ \t]*[(;:]','@rhe');
      } else {
         word_chars := _clex_identifier_chars();
         status=search(proc_name,'@he>w=['word_chars']');
      }
   } else {
      status=repeat_search();
   }

johncleese

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 03:05:14 AM »
Thanks @Graeme for the detailed response. I'll probably take a try, and share it if I can get something useful. Cheers!

macjohnmcc

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
Any update on the beta release? Nearly two weeks since the last estimate of end of July.

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
It's looking like it's coming now.  Old (v18) comments removed, slick 2014 (v19) beta comment header started.

;D    :D

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 09:01:54 PM »
It sure would be good to see. My maintenance expires in one week and I would like to see what the new version looks like before I decide whether to extend. After all, I did pay maintenance already one year ago and have seen nothing since.

John Hurst