Author Topic: Is Slickedit 2014 on the near horizon?  (Read 27398 times)

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Is Slickedit 2014 on the near horizon?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »
Clark has made it pretty clear that everyone that had maintenance around the first of the year (when new version is usually released) will get the upgrade, whether maintenance has expired or not.  Your support should be automatically extended if it has lapsed. If it's not, simply contact sales and they'll take care of you.

They're good people.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »
Everyone,

I have worked at SlickEdit for 12 years and in that time we have missed our planned spring upgrade cycle two times.  Each of those times SlickEdit has done the right thing for our customers, and provided them a free upgrade if their support lapsed.  Clark (SE Founder) & I are in full agreement and will honor that commitment for this cycle as well.

When the new release is available, our IT department will analyze which customers support expired and did not receive a free upgrade during their support period and will adjust their SlickEdit web account so they are able to receive it for free.  This process may take up to a week after the new version is released and we appreciate your patience, or you may contact the sales department (1-919-473-0070) and they will work to expedite your request within a day.

As for the availability of SE19.  Clark and the Engineering team are shooting for the end of July for the beta, and depending on the beta cycles the GA release should be near the end of Aug./early Sept.  We agree this is much later than prior years, but there is some complex UI work being done and we will not release the beta until we believe the quality of the code is there.

If anybody should encounter problems obtaining your free upgrade through either of these processes, please feel free to contact me directly.

We thank you and appreciate the loyalty you have intrusted in SlickEdit.

Rick Lanning
SlickEdit Inc.
Vice President of Sales
Email:   rlanning@slickedit.com
Phone:  919-473-0117

wsappington

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »
Everyone,

I have worked at SlickEdit for 12 years and in that time we have missed our planned spring upgrade cycle two times.  Each of those times SlickEdit has done the right thing for our customers, and provided them a free upgrade if their support lapsed.  Clark (SE Founder) & I are in full agreement and will honor that commitment for this cycle as well.

When the new release is available, our IT department will analyze which customers support expired and did not receive a free upgrade during their support period and will adjust their SlickEdit web account so they are able to receive it for free.  This process may take up to a week after the new version is released and we appreciate your patience, or you may contact the sales department (1-919-473-0070) and they will work to expedite your request within a day.

As for the availability of SE19.  Clark and the Engineering team are shooting for the end of July for the beta, and depending on the beta cycles the GA release should be near the end of Aug./early Sept.  We agree this is much later than prior years, but there is some complex UI work being done and we will not release the beta until we believe the quality of the code is there.

If anybody should encounter problems obtaining your free upgrade through either of these processes, please feel free to contact me directly.

We thank you and appreciate the loyalty you have intrusted in SlickEdit.

Rick Lanning
SlickEdit Inc.
Vice President of Sales
Email:   rlanning@slickedit.com
Phone:  919-473-0117

I've been a SlickEdit user since 2001 and a Core for Eclipse (Core) user since it was called "Plugin" v3.3, somewhere around 2007.  I was reading this thread and was particularly interested in the comments about users' not getting any updates during the past year of their support agreements and the responses by Rick and Clark about how Slickedit will make it right by them.

Over in Core-land, we have not had a new version of the Core product for nearly 3 years now.  Since December 01, 2011 to be exact.  That version of Core was to be paired with Eclipse Indigo.  Since then, Juno and Kepler have come and gone and now Eclipse is up to the Luna release.  The Core team finally started talking about targeting a beta for September of last year, released one on 10/29 of last year, and last time I checked, Core was still in beta nearly a year later.  During that time it was my experience that Core was nearly impossible to use on the post-Indigo releases of Eclipse.  It was just too unstable. 

On 10/10 of last year I spoke to my salesman, Chris Smith, about the lack of an update to the Core product, its instability when paired with Juno, and the fact that Slickedit had not given me my money's worth for my past year's subscription fee, a situation I see as completely analogous to users' complaints here of not receiving an update during their past year's support period.  Chris more or less dismissed my concerns and seem to think that any use of the product was sufficient justification for the subscription fee.  Never mind the fact that Slickedit gave me a choice of either using Core on an old and inefficent version of Eclipse or using it on a newer version in a very unstable combination.  Never mind that I lost hours and hours of work due to hard crashes and workspace corruption.  Never mind that I had to just stop using it and use SE v17 for my editing and bare Eclipse Juno/Kepler for debugging and other development activities.  Never mind that the user forum that is intended to be the support vehicle for Core is nearly useless because questions sit unanswered for weeks at a time. 

So I gave up.  I dropped my SE maintenance when it came due last year, and in April of this year when my Core subscription came due with no new product available, despite being in beta since October of last year, I did not renew that either.  The 2-IDEs-for-1-job thing was working well enough (or rather was not enough of a PITA) that I was not going to spend good money after bad for a product that, despite nearly a year in beta, still has no official release date. 

And then I saw this thread with Slickedit users' complaints about not receiving anything for their past year's fee and the executives' statements of how Slickedit will do right by its customers, and wondered why nothing similar has been said regarding Core, despite the issue being raised in the Core forum and directly with my salesman, and despite the fact that the situation with Core is nearly 3 times as bad as with Slickedit in terms of how long users have gone without an update.  Can you please explain this?  I'd really like to return to being an active Slickedit customer, but unless something will be done to make things right by Core users, who are far more aggrieved at this point than users of the base product, that's not going to happen.

macjohnmcc

• Community Member
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »
I sympathize with you regarding getting updates. My Windows Slickedit is on version 2007 still because the cost to buy Slickedit again plus maintenance to get it up-to-date is not worthwhile. I do have an up-to-date mac version with support but rarely use the product.

The current system of paying for maintenance and the lack of reasonable upgrade fees from older products feels more like buying into an online game. Pay a big price to get started and a monthly (in this case) yearly fee on top of that to keep current. Skip a period and soon you are ineligible for maintenance and upgrade and have to start all over again. The price for Slickedit isn't cheap to begin with and you basically have to pay that plus the first year maintenance to ensure that you are in the cycle to maintain your product. At this point it feels more like a subscription model with a big upfront cost. Adobe photoshop is less expensive to buy into ($10 a month with no upfront fees) on their subscription model and I can run it on any platform without buying in again and paying another maintenance fee.

mdturnerinoz

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »
When WILL SlickEdit 2014 be available to upgrade to? I ran all the beta editions so far but have not as yet seen the released product; when might I see it?

Rick

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 03:24:38 PM »
The SE2014 beta is in its final phases of development and the product is looking very solid (a BIG Thank You to everyone for the awesome beta tester support).  We are planning a general release candidate (RC) early next week.  After a successful RC, we anticipate SE2014 to be released the first week of November.

Thank you.

Rick Lanning
SlickEdit Inc.
Vice President of Sales

fritzeflink

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 04:07:28 AM »
I don't quite understand the above posts. Does that mean you now have to pay a yearly fee to get hotfixes for your existing version? Or does this only apply to new major versions? I mean, I am not a person that needs a new software version every year and I used an older versin of Slickedit for many years, but if you don't even get bugfixes anymore with a paid product, that's not very encouraging.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 10:45:24 AM »
fritzeflink,

As you can see, if you go to the hotfixes page (shown below), hotfixes are available for the current version and two versions back without logging in.

jimlangrunner

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 12:13:22 PM »
RE: an upgrade - contact Sales.  They heard our cries several years ago and took pains then to help us out. 

The maintenance fee is not terribly high to support the product. For $5/month, I get the upgrades every year, as well as the ability to file a support ticket with Slick should I need to do so.  While I didn't think it was worthwhile when I first bought the product, I do think so now, and I happily pay the support fee. That feeds the developers & their families while I get the use of a pretty good product and deal with a company I like to support and do business with.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
I agree with you Jim. Slickedit is such an important tool for me that I don't mind paying the fee at all.

I originally bought my copy in 2006 when I was working as a contractor. As I moved between jobs I needed a consistent development environment. I consider the maintenance fee to be money well spent. Like you, I am happy to be helping to support the people that bring us a great product.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 12:21:59 AM »
I second that and in fact it's rather cheap for this product class !
For example I pay about 30$ per year for an other tool which is quite nice but by far not as complex and sophisticated as SE.
Besides the fact that SE is the tool I'm using most of my (working) time..
HS2

fritzeflink

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »
Ok, I see your point. Usually I am not one who chases after the latest version of a software if the older version works well for me. I will check out Slickedit again, since I want to add Ada to my daily tools and I would prefer to have one editor instead of two, and probably will also have to start using Linux in the near future, so that's another reason then, since I really dont want to switch between two or three IDEs

lambertia

• Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 02:00:47 AM »
Ok, I see your point. Usually I am not one who chases after the latest version of a software if the older version works well for me. I will check out Slickedit again, since I want to add Ada to my daily tools and I would prefer to have one editor instead of two, and probably will also have to start using Linux in the near future, so that's another reason then, since I really dont want to switch between two or three IDEs

Note that support won't get you Linux - you'll need to buy upgrade to the dual windows/linux license to run both.

jimlangrunner

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2014, 02:34:52 AM »
OTOH, if you have a license for the Windows version, you can open & manage the files on the Linux machine/share in its native format.  And vice-versa - if you buy the Linux version, you can manage the Windows files natively.

I do this with my Windows version and manage files on both a Linux box and an old SCO box.  (Don't ask....)

Gilvin

• Community Member
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 03:17:15 AM »
I second that and in fact it's rather cheap for this product class !
For example I pay about 30$ per year for an other tool which is quite nice but by far not as complex and sophisticated as SE.
Besides the fact that SE is the tool I'm using most of my (working) time..
HS2

Bump!

With the great quality and great users exchanging experience with each other, I won't hesitate to pay the fee.