Author Topic: Workspace Tagging  (Read 15826 times)

mwilkins

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Workspace Tagging
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:35:41 AM »
Is there any better way to handle tagging in a workspace?

I have several projects in my workspace ( this is the way the QNX IDE works), but obviously, my first references I want to see are for my current project. The Workspace tag file shows tag files for all the projects in seperate directories for example

c:\QNX630\WorkingFolder\Project1\.metadata\pluginss\com.slickedit.core\tagfiles\Project1.vtg
c:\QNX630\WorkingFolder\Project1\.metadata\pluginss\com.slickedit.core\tagfiles\Project2.vtg
c:\QNX630\WorkingFolder\Project1\.metadata\pluginss\com.slickedit.core\tagfiles\Project3.vtg

Now lets say I am working on Project3..... my Preview or references show me references in the order  project1 then Project2 then Project3.

I have tried right clicking and moving up the project 3 to the top of the tagging list, but when I close the window and open again, it has reverted to same order as before.

I have also tried doing a seperate tag file for project3 under the C++ Tag file section, but this does not help.
I have set Build workspace tag file with references to FALSE in Slickedit options.... but this doesn't help, as I want references for other modules that are in the workspace which are relevent. Right Clicking on a tag file in the workspace and clicking generate references does not work, this tick stays in the same state as before

So Is there any way I can
1) Turn off Workspace Tagging

2)Or even better Disable various project in the workspace from either tagging or showing their tagging info.

3) Move c++ tagging to the top or the file I wnat to the top in the workspace tagging.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:52:41 AM by mwilkins »

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Workspace Tagging
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »
The answer to your issue is to provide an ability to search for references only within the current project.  It is an existing feature request, and was on our radar for Core 3.6.1 but we didn't get to it in that time frame :(.  It is a high priority for our next release.  The JDT has this feature...if you right-click on a symbol in a file you can do References > Project or References > Workspace.  We want to do something similar.

I have tried right clicking and moving up the project 3 to the top of the tagging list, but when I close the window and open again, it has reverted to same order as before.

This seems like a bug to me...I've filed a defect for this.

The one workaround I can give you for now is this:

2)Or even better Disable various project in the workspace from either tagging or showing their tagging info.

If you close the project, SlickEdit will not show tagging results from that project.

- Ryan

drewkerwin

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
My slick edit v 17.02 seems to be aware of files on the system that are not contained in my project/workspace. E.g. My workspace has one project and in that project are files on a mapped network share. I use Win7 64. When I choose "go to definition", options for local files are presented (assuming SE couldn't find the definition in the project). I've noticed that during the tagging process, files outside my project are being tagged. I would like SE to stop tagging items outside of my project. How to accomplish this ?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:51:57 AM »
FYI I think you posted in the wrong forum.

Hopefully it will help if you could post the .vpj file for your project...I'll take a look and see if I can shed some light on this.  One thing that comes to mind, is that these source files that are getting tagged aren't actually in a compiler configuration or language tag file, and you just think they are part of the workspace tag file because you are seeing symbols from these files in tagging operations, are they?  Also, do you have files added to your project via wildcards?

Thanks,

Ryan

mrkphth

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
Hello, I have been struggling with this exact thing that mwilkins describes. Has this been feature been enabled or corrected in SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.1.2 64-bit).