Author Topic: Request for UI improvement in select symbol dialog  (Read 766 times)

asandler

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 24
Request for UI improvement in select symbol dialog
« on: June 27, 2014, 05:40:35 pm »
I've been running into a small problem with recent versions of SE. It's a small thing, but pretty annoying. I'll appreciate if you fix that.

The problem is when dealing with long function names. For instance we have two versions of a C++ method that accepts 7 arguments. There are two overloaded versions of this method: first accepts  6 arguments and second accepts 7. When I am trying to go to definition of the method, I get select symbol dialog (see first screenshot).

One problem is probably with tagging - I expected SE to know what method I am trying to navigate to, after all, I picked a particular call in the code. But leaving that aside, there is a problem with dialog itself: it cuts name of the method in the middle and it cuts name of the file in the middle. I can resize columns, but then I have to scroll to see the file name. Why not, split method name into two pieces and present it as two lines of text.

Same problem occurs in open file dialog with file names and paths. The path is too long, its tail is hidden under scrollbar. Why not split it into two lines?

Thanks,
Alex.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:42:29 pm by asandler »

asandler

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 24
Re: Request for UI improvement in select symbol dialog
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »
I think I understand why tagging doesn't work the way I expected. Enabling "Attempt to filter out non-matching function overloads" in Options->C/C++->Context Tagging solves this problem. There is still a problem with UI though.