Author Topic: Slickedit 2013 is too slow to use when project files are on network samba server  (Read 6697 times)

hellomoto

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
    I have a problem with se2013(18.0.1 win32, windows 7). The se2013 is terribly slow when my project's source files are on the samba server on LAN.
    I test that project files are on local disk of the computer  se2013 installed, se2013 works well.
    With project files on samba server, se2013 is so slow that it can't be use. Here is some case:
    1. First problem happened when I added project files to a new se2013 project, se2013 need 10-30 minutes to add 10000 files, during this time it looks as died.Add the same project files with source insight or se2012, the time is less than 1-2 minutes.
    2. With this project, the code window scrolled about 1-2 seconds after I scrolled the code by my mouse, It's too diffcult to use!
    3. When building project's tag file, Se2013's doesn't react until 5-6 hours.
   I have tested to open the same project file with SE2012 , it reponsed quickly, there's not any problem.
   So is it a huge bug on se2013?
   Could you tell me the way to fix this problem?

Regards
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:00:47 PM by hellomoto »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Please provide your help about information. Thanks

hellomoto

• Community Member
Clark,
        here is the help about informaiton:
SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.1.2 32-bit)

Serial number: WB_TRIAL_E7GSTE
License type: Trial
License expiration: 2014-08-12 08:00:00
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\18\slickedit.lic

Build Date: August 12, 2013
Emulation: Visual C++ 6

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 71% Load, 2368MB/3292MB Physical, 3116MB/4826MB Page File, 216MB/2047MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1600 x 900

Project Type: Gnuc
Language: .c (C/C++)

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.1\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,3004MB free)
Configuration Directory: E:\document\My SlickEdit Config\18.0.1\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,55089MB free)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Most importantly, you need SlickEdit 2014 (v19). The beta will be out soon. It has a new workspace option to store your tag files locally (Project >Tools > Workspace Properties> Tag Files Directory...

You'll get better local File I/O performance with an SSD if you don't already have one. I highly recommend one.

SlickEdit 2012 and 2013 should perform the same. However, it's very possible that you are low on memory and you're getting some thrashing with 2013 possible because it uses more memory than SlickEdit 2012. Low memory could explain why you can't edit while background threads build the tag file.

I wouldn't expect low memory to effect the performance of initially adding your files to the project but it will effect background threaded tag file building like I said above.

I tried SE 2013 on my machine and added 20,000 files of remote source to a remote workspace and it took 1-2 minutes to add. I do have a fast machine with 8 gig of memory but that shouldn't matter if the problem is remote file I/O. After I pressed the OK button on the project properties dialog, it took about 6-7 minutes to build the tag file in the background. I can easily edit while the tag file is building.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Do you have another machine around with more memory? If you do, please try that and let me know if you see a difference in performance.

hellomoto

• Community Member
Most importantly, you need SlickEdit 2014 (v19). The beta will be out soon. It has a new workspace option to store your tag files locally (Project >Tools > Workspace Properties> Tag Files Directory...

You'll get better local File I/O performance with an SSD if you don't already have one. I highly recommend one.

SlickEdit 2012 and 2013 should perform the same. However, it's very possible that you are low on memory and you're getting some thrashing with 2013 possible because it uses more memory than SlickEdit 2012. Low memory could explain why you can't edit while background threads build the tag file.

I wouldn't expect low memory to effect the performance of initially adding your files to the project but it will effect background threaded tag file building like I said above.

I tried SE 2013 on my machine and added 20,000 files of remote source to a remote workspace and it took 1-2 minutes to add. I do have a fast machine with 8 gig of memory but that shouldn't matter if the problem is remote file I/O. After I pressed the OK button on the project properties dialog, it took about 6-7 minutes to build the tag file in the background. I can easily edit while the tag file is building.
Do you mean place the .vtg file of project on local disk? Actually my tag files are on local disk, but all project source file are on remote server.
When I use se2013, the available memory remains 700-1000M.
Unfortunately, there's no plan to update computer with a ssd; And I can't find a computer with more memory,.
I'll test build project on other computer to see if the problem exist and append the test result here.

Thanks&Regard

hellomoto

• Community Member
I have test this issue on an other computer, the problem still exist.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
What's the version of the Samba server you are running? What's the latency between your desktop and the Samba server (ping machineName)?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
My previous questions will help me to attempt to setup a better test system here.

I would like you to compare SlickEdit's file listing performance between SlickEdit 2012 and 2013. From the SlickEdit command line, execute a command like the following on your source file tree:

list  <path>\*.cpp

Press ESC to get to the SlickEdit command line or click on it with the mouse. This command will list files recursively that have a .cpp file extension and output the listing to an edit window. You can close the output window. I just want to know if there is a significant performance difference between SlickEdit 2012 and SlickEdit 2013.

Thanks

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
I do believe this is fixable but I just need a little more info on this. A little more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:21:33 PM by Clark »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
This is fixed in the next v19 beta (need beta 5 which will be out very soon.)