Author Topic: Empty floating document window  (Read 3127 times)

LBCEi

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 21
Empty floating document window
« on: August 24, 2014, 03:58:44 AM »
Steps to reproduce:

• Open a workspace after installing v19 beta.  I let the install inherit my v18 config.
  • Drag a file tab out to create a floating document window.  The document window inherits some of the toolwindows (Projects, Defs, Class, Symbol, and Open).  Note that Build, Search Results, Preview, References, Message List, Output are not inherited.
  • Drag the single file tab out of this floating document window to create a new floating document window.  This third window looks like the results of step 2.  However, the window created in step 2 now has no document tabs.  It still has the file name/path in the window title bar and in what appears to be a tab group with no tabs.

I can make some screenshots if this description is not clear.

Clark

• Hero Points: 528
Re: Empty floating document window
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »
I was wondering when someone would notice this.

Tool windows are not inherited. There is a Default layout which is automatically applied to dragged out Document tabs.  All this new cool layout stuff is accessible from the context menu of a floating window group document tab (not a document tab of the main window group). Some users will want to set this to "Empty" or choose "Minimal" instead of the "Default" layout to be applied. You can easily create your own named layout and set it as default.

One essential feature we don't have implemented yet is the following:  When you drag out the last document tab, the remaining floating window group should be closed (at least by default).

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Clark.

It seems that my seemingly senseless use case of dragging out a single document tab helped me learn something. It probably would have taken a while to stumble across the 'Layouts' context menu features otherwise, as I rarely use the document tab context menu.

BTW:  In further playing around I noticed that you get the 'empty floating document window' if you drag a tab back into the main window group as well.

Clark

• Hero Points: 528
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »
That's right. There's no real difference with dragging back to the main window. The same thing would happen if you dragged it to another floating window group instead of the main window group.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 54
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 06:46:42 PM »
This is fixed for the next beta. By default, when the last mdi child editor window is removed from a floating mdi window (by any mechanism), that floating mdi window is automatically closed.

++rodney