Author Topic: Not a fan of Visual Studio editor - how can Slickedit help?  (Read 8363 times)

cillybole

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Not a fan of Visual Studio editor - how can Slickedit help?
« on: August 29, 2014, 08:44:11 AM »
I've used slickedit for many many years now. I'm a driver developer and have always been able to get away by using command line build scripts/makefiles and configuring slickedit to use them. It's getting harder and harder these days to not use Visual Studio. They're pushing driver development over to it, obviously all the .NET languages want you there, etc. My #1 issue is emacs keybindings. I can't work without them (the emacs bindings plugin for VStudio sucks so it's not really an option).

So, I haven't upgraded my Slickedit version since 2008. I'm wondering, is it worth upgrading to 2013 given my above requirements? Can I use Slickedit as a full replacement for Visual Studio now? Or, is there a Slickedit plugin for Visual Studio (I seem to recall something like this). Or, what are my options? Thanks for reading.

mwb1100

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
Re: Not a fan of Visual Studio editor - how can Slickedit help?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »
is there a Slickedit plugin for Visual Studio (I seem to recall something like this)

There used to be one, but it's discontinued.  I honestly don't know how anyone makes a product that's a VS plug-in since the programming model seems to be built on shifting sands.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
With the somewhat new WDK integration into VS you can deal with VS solutions and projects, I think.
SE is able to import them as workspace/project(s) and you should be fine and you could use SE as usual :)
You can use VS just as a more or less convenient configuration tool.
AFAIK the kernel debugger integration into VS still lacks important features so you won't miss it.
BTW SE2013 already supports windbg based debugging.
In the sense of upgrading SlickEdit note that SE2014 (v19) provides VS2013 support.
So I'd recommend to upgrade to SE2014 if you don't profit from annual maintenance, yet.
HS2

PS: Please note that I'm guessing. I'm currently not involved in a driver project.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:55:47 PM by hs2 »

cillybole

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:09:30 PM »
Thanks for the responses and @hs2, you're right about the integration level currently with slickedit. Well, I haven't tried to import the .sln I just create makefile based projects in slickedit and then use msbuild to build the .sln files. It's kludgy but I still obviously get symbols / tags and compile error parsing stuff so it's good enough.

So you're suggesting I go to SE2014 v19? Is it available yet? If so, I'll get that.  Thanks again.

hs2

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:44:38 PM »
Using sln directly just works. Nowadays there is no need for manual interaction :)
I was also using handcrafted SE workspace/projects and build commands time ago when I made a KMDF driver. Well, it was still SOURCES based at that time ;)
SE2014 is currently in beta testing phase (see the changes here) and the release will follow soon.
I'd wait a bit and get the latest and greatest SE version coming with some very good improvements besides VS2013 support.
HS2
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:53:03 PM by hs2 »

cillybole

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 01:27:01 AM »
Ok cool -thanks for the info. Is there anyway I can get my hands on the beta now or buy now and get v19 when it comes out (without paying for the maintenance)? Thanks again.

cillybole

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 01:30:07 AM »
Actually, it looks like I can download the beta now. I'd like to buy asap before my boss forgets he gave me the go ahead :) So, I'm still interested in knowing if I can pay now and still get the upgrade when it comes out. Thanks a lot.

hs2

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »
Just contact sales@slickedit.com. I'm sure they can help and find a way :)
HS2

cillybole

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
Awesome - you've been helpful HS2, thanks man.

~billy