Author Topic: Slickedit 2013 unusable over VPN?  (Read 2985 times)

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Slickedit 2013 unusable over VPN?
« on: August 31, 2014, 04:21:32 pm »
I'm running Slickedit 18.0.1.2 with hotfix 29 on windows 7 booted in VMWare Fusion on OS X Mavericks. When I am on VPN, SlickEdit is unusable. The program is not responding for most of a minute, does a screen refresh, and then continues hanging. The project/tag files are remote. I'll try creating a new project with local project/tag files but remote source files.

Is this a known problem? I see reference to VPN hangs from several years ago.

Edit: The situation is better with local project files, but editing source files remains so slow as to be unusable. I'm on a 10 MBit DSL connection.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:53:21 pm by Ed Barnard »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 370
Re: Slickedit 2013 unusable over VPN?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:12:40 am »
VPN works fine on a Windows computer. You do need a descent internet connection. Use "www.speedtest.net" to test your internet connect and post your speeds.

I use a VPN with SlickEdit from home all the time (like now). I have Time Warner cable. I just upgraded my internet speed this past Friday. My current speed times are really good compared to how they used to be. It used to be something like this (ping: 50-100ms download: 5-10MBps upload: 1MBps).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:23:43 am by Clark »

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:16:45 am »
With vpn connected, firefox on windows to speedtest.net shows 7.91 Mbps down, 0.15 Mbps up. The source files are on a samba-mounted filesystem.

As a workaround, I tried installing phpstorm, but it won't come up at all when installed on windows running on vmware fusion. So I installed notepad++ and got a small amount of editing done, but the hang time for notepad++ also borders on unusable.

Thanks for taking a look!

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:02:53 pm »
I tried vpn once, a long time ago, and wasn't happy. I think it has to do with the fact that Windows is trying to keep up with the remote file system. The larger the file system, the worse it got.

I got around it by setting up DropBox and keeping my files there.  (The ones I needed access to).  It's secure enough if you don't share the dropbox folder (and I don't). 

If DropBox won't do it, would it do to copy the files locally to work on them?

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:21:50 pm »
That's a good suggestion, Jimlangrunner. I do have the ability to maintain a local copy of the source tree. I believe SlickEdit is capable of pushing via ftp over ssh when saving a file. I don't know how to set that up in SlickEdit, but I'll figure it out. Thanks again!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 01:42:52 pm »
With vpn connected, firefox on windows to speedtest.net shows 7.91 Mbps down, 0.15 Mbps up. The source files are on a samba-mounted filesystem.

As a workaround, I tried installing phpstorm, but it won't come up at all when installed on windows running on vmware fusion. So I installed notepad++ and got a small amount of editing done, but the hang time for notepad++ also borders on unusable.

Thanks for taking a look!

You didn't post your ping time. This one has a direct effect on typing speed. When it goes over 100ms, you will start seeing bad typing performance.

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:55:13 pm »
Clark, with a large tarball download in progress, ping time from windows over vpn to the server with the source tree is min=39ms, max=77ms, avg=50ms. I suspect the issue is that I had the source tree as a samba filesystem mount.

Once I get the 1.6GB tarball downloaded and reproduce the source tree on my local filesystem (mac SSD) I think I have a couple of options. Windows is running on VMWare Fusion on the mac (the VPN client is available to me on windows but not mac).

I can either SlickEdit-edit files locally on the mac (my preferred mode) and use, say, FileZilla on windows to push edited files to the server, or I can SlickEdit-edit files on Windows and figure out how to get SlickEdit to push edited files upon saving the buffer.

If you have suggestions I'd love to hear them; in any event if I get a working VPN setup I'll post it here for anyone else who encounters a similar situation.

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:41:13 pm »
Here's my solution, for anyone else hitting the same situation:

I made a local copy of the source tree.
I removed .svn directories and cache directories from the local copy. Only the remote copy gets committed, so the local fluff just gets in the way of the FileZilla synchronization.
I set up FileZilla with identical remote and local folder names and synchronized browsing.
After each file save or set of file saves, I tell FileZilla to upload the folder. The first time it does this, I tell it to overwrite files only if size changed or local is newer. I tell this to do for all files, but uploads only.
The FileZilla shortcut key is alt-downarrow, which initiates transfer of the folder in the "current" FileZilla window to the "other" window. In other words, I use alt-downarrow for uploads.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 03:43:04 pm »
Can you list exactly what's connecting to what?  I'm not sure what your setup is.

It sounds like your local machine is a Mac running VMWare Fusion which is running Windows. You VPN from there to a remote Windows machine. Where is Samba in this?

I've never done a VPN in this way, but I have run VMWare on my remote Windows machine to run Ubuntu. Our VMWare stuff is on remote servers but our servers and networks at SlickEdit are very fast.

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 04:54:37 pm »
Clark, yes, I should start back at the beginning and explain the problem to be solved!

I have a macbook running Mavericks. The work network includes a linux box containing my checked-out source tree(s). When at work, with a wired ethernet connection, I can do an SMB/Samba mount of my home directory on the linux box. I have a mac/windows SlickEdit license.

At work on wired ethernet, I edit my source tree directly as the mounted filesystem. Windows is NOT part of the picture.

I am now trying to work-from-home over the weekend. My employer only has a Windows VPN client available, not a Mac VPN client. I run Windows 7 as needed on my Macbook via VMWare Fusion.

On Windows (VMWare Fusion), I can do the VPN connection, and with VPN up, I can "attach network drive", mounting that same linux box containing my source tree via samba. Also, using the Bitvise ssh / sftp client, I can connect to the same linux box.

However, as noted at the beginning of this topic, editor performance is abysmal when going to the samba-mounted linux box on windows. I'm on a 10 Mbit DSL line. The problem, I speculate, is multiple round-trips to the linux box during keystrokes, screen refreshes, and so on.

Here's my solution.

1. In an ssh session on the linux box, create a tar archive (1.6GB) of the source tree, and gzip it (1.2GB).
2. In an ssh-ftp session, transfer the tarball to the local filesystem. I get the full 10Mbit download speed, but it takes a while, but only needs to be done once. Since I use "integrated" VMWare Fusion, the file transfer is into my Mac home directory.
3. Ungzip and untar the result.
4. Rename the local containing folder so it is identical to the remote containing folder. FileZilla plays nicer when they match.
5. Install FileZilla on Windows and set it up for synchronized browsing of the linux box over vpn/ssh.
6. Open up SlickEdit for Mac, create a new workspace, add files, retag, etc. to incorporate the local un-tar'd copy of the source tree.
7. In the local source tree, delete all .svn folders and delete cache folders. Otherwise FileZilla spews lots of red warning messages. I have no intention of doing Subversion commits from the local copy, so removing source code control stuff doesn't hurt. The Macbook SSD and backups have full disk encryption, else I wouldn't have the option of making a local copy of our source code.

So, to summarize, what is the problem I'm trying to solve?

Problem 1. I only have a Windows VPN client available, but I have a Mac. Solution: Windows on VMWare Fusion makes the VPN connection.

Problem 2. If I mount the linux box containing my source tree, on Windows over VPN, as "attach network drive" using Samba, SlickEdit for Windows is unusable. However, a fresh install of notepad++ is pretty much unusable as well, so I think the problem here is performance of a samba-mounted filesystem on windows over VPN with a 10 MBit DSL line.

My solution is to make a local copy of the files, and use FileZilla to "push" local changes to the linux box over ssh/ftp. I am NOT doing a samba mount. Since I'm now doing local file edits, I can use SlickEdit for Mac as usual, and click into my Windows window to have FileZilla sync my local folder(s) to the remote linux box.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 07:01:23 pm »
I got the first part right. Your solution sounds very good. You're not running slickedit remotely. Your source is very remote.  I was considering having a local copy of the slickedit source but now my internet connection rocks so there's no point.