Author Topic: B2: key bindings to user macros not upgraded  (Read 1716 times)

jnairb

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
B2: key bindings to user macros not upgraded
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:06:26 pm »
I have several key bindings to some simple macros I've written myself. It looks like none of these are set after installing beta 2 and letting it upgrade my 18.0.1 configuration. The macros are all loaded -- my personal commands in these macros all show up in the commands list of the key bindings dialog.

How do I get all my key bindings back without manually finding and re-setting them?

Clark

• Hero Points: 378
Re: B2: key bindings to user macros not upgraded
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:17:48 pm »
There are two known problems.

The following doesn't work: install beta 1 which transfers your config correctly, then install beta 2 which won't get your config. We are working on this issue. The problem is that beta 1 isn't writing a specif config file. Beta 2 doesn't write it either. The work around for this is to delete the 19.0.0 config directory before running beta 2.

The following is another bug: If your older vusrdefs.e is too big, it won't compile and we can't transfer your config. The next beta will have a fix for this (it will split the file). The work around for this is to export/import your settings.

I just tested the following: Delete all config dirs. Run v18. Load custom macro. Bind key to custom command. Run v19 beta 2. V19 beta 2 gets the macro and key binding.

jnairb

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:29:57 pm »
I deleted my beta 1 19.0.0 config directory before starting beta 2, so problem #1 doesn't apply.

But how big is too big for vusrdefs.e? In my 18.0.1 directory, vusrdefs.e is 225,377 bytes. In my 19.0.0 directory it was only 119,447 bytes.

From the slickedit command line, I just ran my 18.0.1 vusrdefs.e (i.e. ran C:\Users\bej\SlickEdit\18.0.1\vusrdefs.e) and it didn't give me any errors and that also gave me back all my key bindings. So does that mean it's not too big?

Clark

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:32:27 pm »
copy your vusrdefs.e into the 19.0.0 config area. Open it and run "st" from the slickedit command line. It's possible that it will compile with 18 but not 19 due to more symbols being defined. Anyway, that' the acid test.

If that's not the problem. I don't know why it wouldn't run your vusrdefs.e

Clark

jnairb

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:43 pm »
copy your vusrdefs.e into the 19.0.0 config area. Open it and run "st" from the slickedit command line.

OK, did that and it reports: Compilation completed successfully.

Clark

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:08:21 pm »
If you run your vusrdefs.e from the SlickEdit command line ("xcom <path>vusrdefs.e" ), that should re-setup your key bindings (unless they aren't there). I still don't know why it didn't get run when your config directory was transferred.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:29:12 pm by Clark »

jnairb

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 02:21:46 am »
I got my key bindings back when I ran the vusrdefs.e from my 18.0.1 config directory. Before copying my 18.0.1 vusrdefs.e to my 19.0.0 config directory (before running "st" against it as you suggested), I did a quick vsdiff between them. The 19.0.0 version seemed to be completely missing the defeventtab defaultkeys; section -- so maybe there were more missing/incorrect key bindings than just those for my user macros, but maybe it was close enough with defaults (based on Brief defaults) that I didn't notice.

I didn't save the 19.0.0 version before replacing it, but I could always delete the current 19.0.0 config and let it upgrade from 18.0.1 again if there'd be anything interesting to see.

jnairb

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 04:37:24 pm »
With Beta 3, I still lost most (or all) of my customized key bindings. I installed Beta 3, deleted my old 19.0.0 config directory, started Beta 3 and it upgraded from my 18.0.1 config directory.

I don't see any key bindings listed in my new vusrdefs.e in the 19.0.0 directory. I do see that I have a vusrkeys.e now. Looks like it was there in the beta 2 config directory also. Are all my key bindings moved there and how is this supposed to be automatically loaded?

I do have my own vusrmods.e that I normally run to get everything set back up again after an upgrade. Do I need to have it load/run the vusrkeys.e? Is there a different way I could/should be making sure my own macros get loaded?

Clark

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:59:03 pm »
There's still a bad problem in beta 3 with transferring your configuration. We caught it with a different post on beta 3. Basically, if you changed emulation, a lot of configuration options are lost. Sorry we haven't gotten this right yet. This was practically the only reason we came out with beta 3 so soon.