Author Topic: dark themes and hidden tool windows don't show  (Read 7441 times)

skywise

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 10
dark themes and hidden tool windows don't show
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:47:30 AM »
Win7X64 Beta 2
The hidden & docked toolbar windows are locked to a black font that doesn't appear with a dark theme I'm using.  The highlight buttons of the hidden windows are conforming to my windows settings (highlights are light blue, disabled is a dark button) and all other document tabs work fine as well - It's just these tabs.  I set the 3D background to a lighter gray and in the 2nd screenshot and you can see the text is being drawn properly - Just not the right color.  There's an option to configure the colors for the other document tabs but not, apparently, this one.  Although I'd be happy if we could just get the docked and hidden tool window text to use the same color the other document tabs do.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 54
Re: dark themes and hidden tool windows don't show
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:58:34 AM »
This will be fixed, but maybe not for the next beta.

++rodney

skywise

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »
Had you gotten to this yet?  I just fired up Beta 5 and the behavior is the same.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:15:28 PM »
Not yet.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 12:41:50 AM »
I've fixed the buttons on the tool-window titlebars to match the text, but that is not going to help you since you can't see the text.

I will have to figure out what to tweak in my "High Contrast" scheme to reproduce what you see.

++rodney

skywise

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:00:55 PM »
Thanks.

In windows 7 I'm setting the 3D Objects background color to near black and I've got the foreground color set to cyan.  Both the background of the sidebars (hidden/docked) and the tabs on the text windows correspond to the background of the 3D Object color but the tabbed window text corresponds to the foreground color of the Message Box while the foreground color of the sidebars is fixed at black.  (IE If I change the 3D Object background color, SE's sidebars and tabbed window backgrounds update automatically to the new color)

Would it be possible to just have the foreground colors of the sidebars use the same color selection as the tabbed window text (Message Box)?

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »
Okay, I understand the problem (I think), but I don't know why it happens. Short explanation is that we were deriving the text color for the auto-hide tabs from the 3DDKSHADOW Windows system color which should have been okay (but of course it wasn't for you). I've changed the algorithm on Windows for choosing colors for auto-hide tabs. I also used the opportunity to fix up several color issues with other elements (document tabs, tool-window tabs). Try it out in the next build. Thanks!

++rodney

skywise

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »
RC3 - Win7x64
Docked and hidden tool window header text is still fixed at black (expanded/open tool window headers work though)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:45:09 PM by skywise »

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
That's quite a mystery then. The only way I'll reproduce this is for you to save your theme and send it to me.

Edit: When I say "theme" I mean your Windows 7 color theme.

++rodney

skywise

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 01:14:01 AM »
Heh... I stand corrected.  This shows up properly on my system at home which has a dark theme but the colors weren't changing when I tried at work which has a more typical theme... Took me a few minutes to figure it out and I bring up a new quirk -  The hidden/docked tabbed text doesn't change colors until you restart SE.   ;D

Thanks!

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 01:23:31 AM »
Yeah we could do a better job about catching the event that tells us the system theme has changed. I'm not sure I've seen an application that does it perfectly without a restart to fix fonts, etc. Thanks for verifying the fix.

++rodney