Author Topic: Putting directory into "Smart Open" and pressing <ENTER> does not always change  (Read 5780 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
Hi:

I installed beta2 today and started using it.

I notice intermittently that sometimes I will enter a directory into the edit box of the "Smart Open" tool window, and then press <ENTER>.

Lots of times when I do that, the smart open does not change to the new directory and stays on the old directory.

Sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't happen. I haven't figured out the pattern yet to always reproduce it.

I will give more information as to how to reliably reproduce this when I figure it out.

Rob

rowbearto

This behavior is occurring in both the Linux and Windows versions of beta2.

rowbearto

Once it starts happening, it keeps happening, until I close down SE and restart it.

After I restart it, I can change the dir again.

If I figure out what seems to trigger this bad behavior, I will let you know.

rowbearto

I see some more bad behavior in the "Smart Open" today.

I have both parts (upper and lower) of the "Smart Open" displayed, the "lower" part is the directory tree.

When I double-click on a directory in the upper part today, it does not change to that directory, but changes to some other directory.

But if I double-click on the same sub-directory in the lower part, it does change to the correct directory.

rowbearto

I still experiencing all these issues with smart open in beta4.

rowbearto

I'm still experiencing these issues in beta5.

rowbearto

As I wrote in another thread (link below), here is how the problems in this thread can be reproduced:

1) Start Slickedit
2) In Smart Open edit box, type: c:\users\<your_username>, and press <ENTER>
3) type the first few letters of any file in this directory. There is an "ntuser.ini" file in mine, so I type just 3 letters "ntu", do not press <ENTER>
4) Now double-click on the file you were looking for. In my example, I double click on "ntuser.ini", it should open in an editor window.
5) Click on the red "X" button next to smart open edit box
6) Now in the upper smart open, click on the ".." to go to the parent directory. Notice that it does not change.

This causes the bad state to get entered and in this state, and in this case clicking on "Change Directory to:" does not change the directory in the lower window.

This state also is where I experience many other symptoms that I documented here:

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,10373.0.html

rowbearto

I found that this can be reproduced by choosing any directory, not just c:\users\<username>

And it is also reproduced without hitting red "X" button, it can also be reproduced if the edit box is manually cleared.

I think the important point is that just a few letters of the file need to be typed, and then double click on the file in the list. Then the issue is reproduced.

Can SE team reproduce it now?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Trying it now.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Yes, I can reproduce it with the set of steps you posted.  Thanks for the report!

rowbearto

So happy you reproduced it!

This is a very annoying issue!

Will be happy to see it fixed.

Clark

• Hero Points: 526
Nice catch! Fixed for next beta  ;D

rowbearto

Thanks Clark.

I'm just curious why I was the only person reporting this bug?

Does it mean that inside SE team, you don't open files by just typing a few letters in the "Open" edit box and then click on them? Otherwise, you would have seen it too.

If you don't use this method, what method do you use to quickly find a file and open it in an editor window?

Clark

• Hero Points: 526
I think some of the team (like me) opens files from the SlickEdit command line with "e <filename>". It's partially habit since the "e" command has been around forever and the Open tool window came much later. Also, many of the files we open are as the result of a push-tag or push-ref.

Opening files with the "e" command has the advantage in that it takes options (like "e +t" for a blank file or "e +futf8 +t" for a new Utf8 file) which can be easily specified on the command line. The Open tool window has more advanced filename matching capabilities and a very nice GUI. If you like using the Mouse instead of typing, it's obviously the way to go.

The matching ("completion") for the "e" command is good enough for us though. We also use directory aliases for common directories. With the combination of the "e" command completion on workspace filenames and directory aliases, we don't crave a GUI for this.

rowbearto

Thanks for the explanation Clark!