Author Topic: SlickEdit newbie question  (Read 6132 times)

gmoniey

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit newbie question
« on: February 02, 2007, 12:04:09 am »
Hi,

I start program in perl, and have tried several editors, so far I like slickedit the most, but I have a couple of questions.

First, can I change the key binding for some default keys? My main grip is the Find Next Occurrence; Most application use F3, but for some reason, SlickEdit uses CTRL+G which is unnatural.

Second, does slick edit do syntax checking for Perl? For example, will it tell me if variables are not being used, or better yet, if I do something like myVar =~ m/text/i; Will it tell me that I forgot the $ in front of myVar?

thanks!

Wanderer

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
Re: SlickEdit newbie question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:18:48 am »
The key binding issue is simple:  Tools->Options->Key Bindings... 
Perhaps the editor you are used to using already has an emulation set up in SlickEdit -- Look at Tools->Options->Emulation. 
And that might get you close to what you want, and then you can use the Key Bindings dialog to perfect it.

As I don't use Perl, I can't respond to that question.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:26:00 am »
We don't have any sort of "live errors" functionality for perl. But SlickEdit can parse the error output when you run your file through perl -c file.pl. But you'll have to do a little work to set this up.
  • Go to Tools->Options->File Extension Setup. Pick the pl extension in the dropdown.
  • On the Advanced tab, click the Extension Specific Project button.
  • On the Tools tab, highlight the Compile entry in the list.
  • In the Commandline: field enter perl -c %f
  • In the Run from dir: field enter %p
  • Make sure Capture output and output to build window are checked.
  • Click OK to accept the changes. You may need to exit and restart SlickEdit

Now, then next time you edit a perl file you can use the Compile command from the Build menu, and the output of perl -c will be displayed in the Build window. You can use the Next/Previous Error commands on the Build menu to have the cursor move to the offending line, and the error message for that line will be displayed in the status bar.

gmoniey

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:32:54 pm »
Hi Wanderer,

I know where to set the key binding, but I cant find the binding for "Next Occurrence" with respect to Find. Does it have a different name? Is there a way to search based on the current key binding (Which is CTRL+G)?

Also, I looked at the emulator section, and my IDE (IntelliJ wasnt listed). anyone know if one of the ones listed is similar to IntelliJ?

Thanks!

hs2

• Hero Points: 281
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 07:20:46 pm »
find-next / search-forward (search-again) are candidates for that (resp. find-prev / search-backward).
I don't know anything about IntellJ, but the basic stuff is probably similar to CUA.

HS2

Wanderer

• Hero Points: 23
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 07:27:46 pm »
I know where to set the key binding, but I cant find the binding for "Next Occurrence" with respect to Find.
You probably know this, but you can use the Key Binding dialog to figure out what command is bound to a key...  Open the dialog, click on "Add Key or Mouse-click", press Ctrl-G, and it should show what command is invoked.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 07:35:32 pm »
You can also use the "what-is" command on the commandline.
  • Click on the status bar, or press ESC to activate the SE commandline
  • type what-is and press enter
  • Press your key combination, and you'll get a message box with the command name
Once you get familiar with the internal command names, you can use the where-is command on the commandline to find the keyboard shortcuts for a command without going to the key binding dialog. And the commandline provides completion help if you can't remember exactly the command name.

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 07:37:50 pm »
You can also use the what-is and where-is commands to find out about key bindings -- they are very useful.
So for example if you enter what-is in the command line (and press Enter), then press Ctrl+G, it will probably tell you "Ctrl+G runs the command find-next".

Most of the SlickEdit emulations are for "classic" legacy editors from some years back. IntelliJ is relatively new, and has its own conventions and ways of doing things. This is part of what makes it so amazing for Java development.

I've used IntelliJ for several years for Java work, and also used SlickEdit for years for Perl and other languages. I think you will find SlickEdit pretty good for Perl overall. There are one or two Perl IDEs out there, but SlickEdit is a much better editor than those.

Regards

John Hurst

gmoniey

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 09:19:09 pm »
thanks to everyone for their help. I figured it out, and I am much happier now.

I have tried several perl editor (over 10)...one reason or another, I didn't like any of the other ones. One stupid reason why I didnt like some of the ones I tried is that they A) didn't support different color schemes or B) didn't provide enough color schemes. I like dark color schemes, and SlickEdit provided several.

I also used Komodo for a while, and I liked the dynamic snytax checking (although is was a bit weak), but it was very intensive (i.e. it slowed my system down).

thanks again!

hs2

• Hero Points: 281
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 10:03:28 am »
Maybe you missed it until now - there is (a try of) a color scheme thread w/ 2 quite dark schemes posted there.
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=324.0

HS2