Author Topic: B3: "Display Files" in Defs Window  (Read 1496 times)

PiezonTM

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 7
B3: "Display Files" in Defs Window
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:33:32 am »
It seems this has now been removed?  It is a real blow for me to see it go.  I just read an old thread where people complained about seeing files in the "Defs" view.  I find that I can see my definitions and more efficiently move around the 80 or more files I have in my list at a time.  Now I find I have to work on the file, go to another "Files" view to easily change to a different file, then go back to the "Defs" view.  Why was this removed as an option?  I can see maybe changing the default, but why remove the feature?  My efficiency just went down with this new release. :'(
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:38:59 am by PiezonTM »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 401
Re: B3: "Display Files" in Defs Window
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 03:52:06 pm »
History:  The Defs tool window originally showed files because it was intended to be a way to switch between files, as well as to see an outline of symbols.  Since then (we're talking about SlickEdit 3.0 here, by the way), we have added numerous iterations of ways to switch between files (Files tab, Files tool window, Document tabs), every one of them better at it than the Defs tool window ever was.  The Display Files just had too many bugs to be worth fixing when it's purpose had become redundant.

For an overview of symbols, I would suggest using the Symbols tool window or the Find Symbol tool window.  I am adding an option to Find Symbol to search <All Open Files>, which should be helpful for you.

PiezonTM

• Hero Points: 7
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 05:00:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  For me use cases the Symbols view is not a good fit, but thanks for the suggestion.  I have played with the docking a bit and split the left side dock window to half Defs, and half files.  I do agree there were issues with the Defs view (files disappearing, etc)--at least on Linux. I'll just have to get used to a slightly different way of working.  I have been with SE since 2.0 and will continue to use it, so thanks for the feedback.

I would like to also say the new version (on Linux) seems to be much better so far--nice work. [Have not tried Windows yet] Just thought I'd mention that since it can sometimes seem like complaints and problems.  ;D

Clark

• Hero Points: 371
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »
I agree with much of what Dennis said. One significant problem with showing buffers and symbols in one window is that as soon as you have a file with a lot of symbols, you can't see any buffers until you close the symbols tree node which could be scrolled off the screen. It just seems like the buffers were shoe horned in there.

It's easier to use use the list-buffers command when choosing a buffer (Ctrl+Shift+B in CUA emulation). With this command your list of buffers is easily searchable. In any case, there are many ways to do similar things.