Author Topic: Column Selection Feature  (Read 4304 times)

Johnco3

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Column Selection Feature
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:32:55 pm »
Column editing (via alt+select is one of the best features that a text editor can provide, Visual Studio's is much better visually as it produces a razor thin line cursor highlight rather than a character block, MS also easily allows cursor wheel scrolling while the alt key key is depressed - allowing the column/block to be visually extended beyond the scope of the visual editor.  It looks like neither editor provides the ability to select rectangular blocks - which would be a nice to have - via alt+left mouse click on corner 1 - then with the alt still pressed, left mouse click on corner 2.  Just a suggestion, it doesn't sound difficult to implement.  The advantage of the razor thin line is that it is obvious where the insertion point is when typing in replacement text with the block selected.

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 197
  • Text
Re: Column Selection Feature
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:44:29 pm »
The select-block command allows you to drop the pivot point, then left-click someplace else to select a box.
You can use the mouse wheel to scroll around

Bind this to a mouse event (such as alt+left) and you get much of what you are looking for.

Johnco3

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:11:23 pm »
What about the razor thin cursor line like line the way Visual Studio selects columns of text?  It is particularly intuitive when it comes to inserting text across a column.  That should be a very easy change no?

jporkkahtc

• Text
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 05:41:25 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "razor thin cursor line".
Just the cursor itself?
How does that make a difference?

Johnco3

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:48 pm »
In Visual Studio - select the alt key, and with the left mouse button pressed the same column select the ending point of the selection and lift the left mouse button leaving a thin blue cursor line - where you can fill the selection area with characters - slickedit already does this, however slickedit obliterates a full text column of 1 character and not 0 characters like MS - the MS way is way more intuitive.

John

jporkkahtc

• Text
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:45:16 pm »
Oh I get it now.

Slick can't have a zero-width selection rectangle.
In Slick edit, if I create a selection rectangle with width of 1 column, then type, it inserts without replacing - as you get with a zero-width selection in VS.

Slick is inconsistent here: I can type-to-replace any selection rectangle of width 2 or more, and insert when width=1.

OTOH, this has never been a problem for me (I rarely select a rectangle with the expectation of replacing the rectangle with typing), *and* selection a single column width block is easier than a zero width block (via the mouse at least).

The thing about this that bugs me is the inconsistent handling of the right edge with select-block.
I often use select-block (mapped to ctrl+B), then if I cursor left, the selection includes an extra column to the right that it should not.

Clark

• Hero Points: 467
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 12:00:40 am »
The thing about this that bugs me is the inconsistent handling of the right edge with select-block.
I often use select-block (mapped to ctrl+B), then if I cursor left, the selection includes an extra column to the right that it should not.

Having an inclusive column selection does have some problems/disadvantages. The problem above (changing direction) is one of the problems I don't like. I'm not sure if this will ever be changed since it would likely break a lot of macros and not provide much benefit at all.

On the advantages side, it is easier to select a single column like you said. I like that.