Author Topic: B5: Multi-cursor, braces  (Read 798 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 124
  • Text
B5: Multi-cursor, braces
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:00:31 pm »
Shift-RMB-Drag select a block of text.

Type a quote (")

Each line is now surrounded by (").
Each cursor is just before the closing ", except on the last line where the cursor is past the ".

Type another "
Now each line as two sets of (") characters, except the last line, so it looks like this:

""ALLUSERSPROFILE""
""APPDATA""
"CommonProgramFiles""

Instead of quote, use parens.
Type ) more than 2 times and the surrounding stops working

((ALLUSERSPROFILE))) ((APPDATA))) (CommonProgramFiles))) 
In fact, while the text is selected if you type anything but a brace, the text is replaced. After you type two braces, like )), then text is inserted after the selection, but before the cursors.
For this, I typed "))xx"
((ALLUSERSPROFILExx)) ((APPDATAxx)) (CommonProgramFiles))xx 

Very odd behavior.

#1: The cursors on each line should have consistent behavior - so they should all be placed inside the braces.
#2: After two braces: This should behave consistently with a single cursor -- it shouldn't be limited to two braces *and* typing anything but a brace should always replace the text.
#3: Hm....Even with a single cursor, brace-surround is really wierd - I'll make a separate post about that.

#4: The text editor in this forum behaves badly. I'm guessing you upgraded a few months ago? Editing drives me nuts as it seems to insert extra formatting stuff I didn't intend. :-(

Clark

• Hero Points: 289
Re: B5: Multi-cursor, braces
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 01:04:44 am »
This has been fixed. Some other post illustrated issues like this but I don't remember which. Please retest this when beta 6 comes out.

Clark

• Hero Points: 289
Re: B5: Multi-cursor, braces
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:15:22 am »
Given how much trouble you're having typing your posts, how about creating them in SlickEdit. I do this anyway for longer posts.

I recommend turning on Soft Wrap (View>Soft Wrap) instead of adding hard line breaks.