Author Topic: Opening with no previous files  (Read 2949 times)

noiz77

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Opening with no previous files
« on: October 06, 2014, 05:36:10 PM »
I am having trouble getting slickedit to open today.  Last time I used slickedit there were a lot of open network files so when I try and open slickedit now it is trying to load these and keeps not responding.  I have tried to leave it opening for a while but it never actually seems to open the previously opened files.  Is there a way to invoke slickedit from the command line where it will open a fresh editor without trying to open the previously opened files?

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Opening with no previous files
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »
There's a restore file in <userprofile>\My slickedit Config\(version) - or something else on Unix - but it's where the load files are stored. 

One of the files (I _think_) vrestore.slk.

Your options: 
  • rename the config folder & start slick.  It will come in "clean"
  • rename vrestore.slk to .bak and launch slick
  • lauch slick from the command line with something like "vs -sc c:\fred", which will use c:\fred as a config directory.

any one of those 3 things should do it.

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »
I'm sorry - that wasn't very clear.
In the first case (on Windows.  Unix or MacOS will be different, but the idea is the same)
My SlickEdit config is in C:\Users\jim\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\18.0.1
I can change "18.0.1" to "18.0.1.bak" and I'll get a clean config, but all my customizations go away.

If I change "vrestore.slk" to "vrestore.slk.bak", it won't open the files I had open, but my open box config, search box, etc., are all gone.

In theory, you can edit vrestore.slk to remove the files from load, but I just tried it & something wasn't right.  So not recommended.

(edit - changed to "vrestore.slk.bak")
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:35:46 PM by jimlangrunner »

JakeMontgomery

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 02:12:14 AM »
Had something similar happen to me recently. After waiting quite a while, SE did open, and all the remote files were removed. Unfortunately, start-up continued to be very, very slow after that. Turned out it was lingering bookmarks to the remote files, that apparently get hit every time SE is opened. So if you do get it to start up, go in and remove all the bookmarks.