Author Topic: B5, Windows7: "Copy" to clipboard crashes my NVidia driver  (Read 2199 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 190
  • Text
B5, Windows7: "Copy" to clipboard crashes my NVidia driver
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:43:43 pm »
OK, this is wierd.
Everytime I do a "Copy" operation in Slick today, Slick locks up for a full minute or so.
[size=78%]Slick 2013 doesn't do this. Nor any other application that I've tried.[/size]

I've deleted my *.sta and all my tag files, same thing.
I've rebooted a few times.
Earlier today, I was just getting this huge delay.
Now, each time, I get the delay, then the displays go black and come back, and WIndows tells me that my NVidia display driver crashed and has been restarted.

I haven't changed the display driver in a long time (it is dated 9/18/2013) - so I don't know whats going on here.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 140
Re: B5, Windows7: "Copy" to clipboard crashes my NVidia driver
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:48:35 pm »
I don't know about crashing the display driver, but is there any chance you're restoring clipboard data and have a really large clipboard(s)?  That might slow things down, although I wouldn't expect it to grind them to a halt like you're describing.

mjdl

• Hero Points: 17
  • SE 25.0.1.0 x64, Windows 10 x64 20H2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:22:44 pm »
I doubt this will help you, but my routine on these kind of weird Windows video driver hiccups attacks (I use a ThinkPad with NVidia Quadro Optimus video hardware) is this: 1) run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated prompt, make sure that the concluding message is something like "No integrity violations were detected"; 2) if your machine uses NVidia drivers (Optimus or otherwise), in the Nvidia settings panel reset everything to global defaults and then make sure that the global power management mode option is set to "Adaptive" rather than "NVidia driver-controlled" (this seemed to solve the problem of a NVidia system driver consistently crashing when the system came out of suspend or hibernation); 3) as a last gasp effort (before I hit on step (2)), I also uninstalled/reinstalled the NVidia and then the Intel video drivers, making sure that the Windows Update default drivers for these bits of hardware were *not* reinstalled before I had a chance to reinstall Lenovo's own driver package (i.e. I temporarily disabled automatic installation of device drivers via "Change device installation settings" in Control Panel).

Sysinternals "Process Monitor" is also useful for finding out what the problematic interactions might be.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 190
  • Text
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:55:41 pm »
(How'd you guess? I've got a W520).
I did all (well, most - i've not done the full uninstall/install of drivers yet) of that  now, and still have the problem.

I don't seem to have a problem with V18 Slick.
I have no idea what changed between friday and today :-(

The big delays happen when I copy just a few characters.
Also happens (less, but still much slower than V18) when I paste a few K of text into a blank edit window.

During the delay, Slick is using a lot of CPU (25%on my 8core system).