Author Topic: B6: Backup History Browser is not showing all files changed.  (Read 2646 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
B6: Backup History Browser is not showing all files changed.
« on: September 30, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
Given my problems yesterday with B5, I did a system restore to several weeks ago.

This rolled back a number of *.BAT files.
I used Slick Backup History to return those files to their more recent state.
If I view Backup History for each file, I see history for each of them going back several weeks at least.

But, in "Backup History Browser", they only show up if I go much farther back in time.

I'm not quite sure what the exact repro steps are.
It seems like the most recent version of the file in backup history isn't used for the browser date filter.

Also, not all file versions are shown in the browser top list.
See the attached image for an example - the file is E:\j\bin\alias\getflavor.bat **

From the History of this file, you can see a modification on 9/18 16:21:51, yet in the Browser, it shows no files modified at this time.
** Ooops -- On this last point, I was confused by the different in date/time formatting between browser and history diff.

I've done "Rebuild save log" twice today.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:00:56 PM by jporkkahtc »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: B6: Backup History Browser is not showing all files changed.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »
I don't understand.  Do they show up, but further back than you expect them?

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Re: B6: Backup History Browser is not showing all files changed.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
Thats right.

At least, for the files I've checked.
After the system restore, I used Slick backup history to retrieve the most recent version of several *.BAT files.
All had been edited within last week or so.
The Backup Browser didn't show any of them edited unless I went way back.

After I used slick to save the new versions, the Browser still doesn't show them.
Hm...

I noticed that Slick doesn't create a delta for a file if it matches the most recent delta.
So for a given file:

Last Edited: 9/18 (most recent VSDelta)
Current file on disk: 8/30 (system restore).
Open in Slick.
Use Backup  History for the file to restore it to the 9/18 version.
Save.
Since this file is now the same as the most recent delta, [size=78%]Slick won't create a new delta - so I've just "lost" the 8/30 version of the file.[/size]

Because of this, it makes sense that using Slick to restore the most recent versions of these files doesn't change what the Browser shows.

I still think the browser has a bug in this area though.

Additionally, Slick not creating a delta in this case I think is a bug in saving history.
This could happen anytime a file is edited outside of slick while Slick isn't running.