Author Topic: Poor performance with large Ruby files  (Read 3547 times)

sschims

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Poor performance with large Ruby files
« on: February 06, 2007, 03:16:04 pm »
All:

When I open a large Ruby file, I get very poor performance.  It is almost unusable.  The file I am currently working with has 31648 lines.  After opening the file, slick edit takes the processor to 100% and holds it there for a minute or so.  When it finally gives back control, I can do a little editing (about 30 seconds to a minute) before it takes the processor back again and makes the application unusable.  It goes back an forth between the two until I close the file.  If the large ruby file is NOT the current buffer, everything is fine.

I am used to opening huge files in slickedit in other formats with no problems, which is one of the reasons SlickEdit is my favorite editor.  Any ideas?

SlickEdit version 11.0.2
31648 line file uses the Ruby Language extension (*.rb)

Thanks in advance,
Scott

jbhurst

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 33
Re: Poor performance with large Ruby files
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 05:41:36 pm »
Hi,

I'm really curious to know how you ended up getting a Ruby file that large!

I've been using Ruby for various things for more than six years, and I don't think I've written that many lines yet in total! (Well, maybe...)

(This is not to say your problem isn't valid.)

John Hurst

sschims

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Poor performance with large Ruby files
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 06:57:10 pm »
 :)  fair enough.

It's not standard application development.  In a pinch I created a large ruby script for testing search on a web application.  I took existing large input test data files and used slickedit macros to format the data into ruby code to drive the browser.  I know it sounds very convoluted, but it took minutes to create the file and start testing.

I just remember my version 2.0c of Slickedit would work with 1 gig EDI files without breaking a sweat.

Thanks,
Scott