Author Topic: Line selection bug still exists  (Read 4684 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Line selection bug still exists
« on: October 12, 2014, 01:48:21 AM »
Clicking on the first or second pixel of a line selects the entire line instead of placing the cursor at the start of the line.

Clark

• Hero Points: 528
Re: Line selection bug still exists
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »
On my machine, it seems like something (not sure what) is off by a pixel.
good catch.

Clark

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
This is a weird problem. It appears that the IBeam hot spot is in the WRONG location on Windows. This is actually not a Qt bug (looks like a win32 problem). Mac and Unix DO NOT have the same problem. I reproduced this problem on Windows 7 and 8.

Fixed in next build.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:16:35 PM by Clark »

jorick

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »
I went to http://www.cursor.cc and uploaded my I-beam cursor (beam_r.cur).  According to the website, the hotspot was right on the cursor.  I didn't make any changes to it but saved it under a different name.  After selecting it as the I-beam cursor to use, it worked perfectly.  As an added bonus, it now works much better in Windows, allowing me to easily select between two lower case L's in an 8-point font (that used to make me pull some hair out).

One thing that's strange.  When the cursor is being displayed in the file open window when selecting it, it doesn't display correctly.  But it displays fine in use.

Looking at the differences in the files shows that the original beam_r.cur is very large, 1,158 bytes, and contains the image of the cursor surrounded by lots of whitespace.  The new beam_s.cur is only 326 bytes long and the image is only what's needed to display the cursor.

Perhaps you should include some I-beam cursors of various sizes with the program that people could use if they find their own cursor is not working right.

So it looks like Windows is indeed at fault. Thank you, Microsoft, for screwing up something as simple as a cursor...

Clark

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »
I can't believe Microsoft hasn't already fixed this basic bug. The work around makes this better for the select line problem but won't help placing the cursor in tight situations.

jorick

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:54:03 PM »
It is helping me in tight situations.  Now I can easily put the cursor between lower case L's, I's, and any other narrow character with impunity.  ;D  The only problem I have now is getting used to using a corrected cursor.  I never realized that I was always clicking somewhat to the right of the gap between characters all this time.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »
jorick, thanks for bringing this up! I've often thought there was something wrong with the I-beam cursor. Also, because I use a very small font, the default I-beam is far too large and it's hard to be certain where the center is pointing. I now have a very small cursor with the hot spot in the right place. Without you asking this and then linking to http://www.cursor.cc I expect I would have just plodded along complacently.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 01:49:19 PM »
When I installed RC3 my text selection cursor changed. That doesn't seem good. Having a program installation modify the system configuration is reminiscent of the bad old days in the 90's when Microsoft would modify system DLLs when you'd install their applications. If this was done intentionally, the installer should at least make it an option. (If it was an option and I blindly clicked through it, I apologize in advance.)