Author Topic: unhappier and unhappier with V11 :-(  (Read 45958 times)

buggyfunbunny

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Re: unhappier and unhappier with V11 :-(
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2006, 08:41:36 PM »
Hijacko, ergo sum.  well, the easiest way to refresh my memory.  To wit:  that SE tagging still doesn't recognize overloaded functions/methods; so the Symbol window shows all with the name, not even winnowing down to matching number of arguments.   Matching on number and type would be peachy; but I'd settle for matching on Number.  Is this on the radar?  Probably the longest standing irritation (longer than the jsp situation).

greggman

• Hero Points: 14
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2006, 07:23:34 AM »
I'm very happy for your help and I'm very happy your are looking into the issues. Thank you so much :-)

I can't say I'm happy with v11 yet though. I understand the tagging issue is a hard problem. It certainly seems to be a loading/caching problem but as an example just for testing I went into file that has a rather large C++ class. Inside one of the methods I typed "this->"

The moment I typed the "s" in "this" v11 froze for 3-4 seconds. Completely froze.

I then opened the same file in Visual Studio 2003 and in the same spot typed "this->".  VC++ never froze and it only took what felt like about 0.1 seconds for it to bring up the completions.

Note that both of these tests were after a fresh reboot so there was no caching invovled as far as I know.

Also note that that 3-4 seconds is rather short. I've often had to wait 10+ seconds which seems like forever when all I'm trying to do is type the next character and don't really want the completions.

I sure there's got to be some solution to speed up the tag stuff for v12. If it is only a loading/caching problem then maybe an option to preload tags when opening a project would help.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2006, 03:03:09 AM »
A couple requests:

1) move the tagging topic to a new thread, I'm becoming unhappier and unhappier with this one.   :P

2) Send a complete example into support that reproduces the delays you see.  I am really, really good at fixing reproducable problems with the tagging engine (tractable ones, that is, not the kind of problems that show up when you add 180,000 files to a single workspace).

greggman

• Hero Points: 14
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2006, 05:53:09 AM »

SharmanJ

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2006, 09:06:02 PM »
I'm not sure this is the right place to observe appalling lack of speed when editing inside C (and H) file comment blocks, so apologies in advance.  Using V11.0.2 with hot fixes as of today, on Windows XP SP2.
Basically, it is so slow that adding characters causes screen updating at ~1 per sec, and deleting using backspace or delete is also that slow.  So bad that it is almost unusable.
As this was supposed to be fixed in V11, I think you need to have another try - any text in a comment should turn off auto stuff except for using the right hand mouse menu to find a definition/declaration under the mouse.
J

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2006, 09:18:11 PM »
Hi J,

Is there ever a good place to report a problem?  ;)

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. I use v11.0.2 on Windows XP every day and don't see that problem. Typing is very brisk and never an issue. To be sure, I just tried again, and everything seems to be fine.

I don't doubt there's something going on, but I suspect it's something unique to your configuration/setup. Please contact product support and provide all the usual info from Help > About SlickEdit. If possible, please include a sample file indicating where the problem is occurring.

In the meantime, the most likely candidate is that Comment Wrapping is causing you problems. Select the Document menu and make sure the Comment Wrap item is not checked.  Or go to Tools > Options > File Extension Setup and select the Comment Wrapping tab for more options.

--Scott

JSacharuk

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2006, 09:38:45 PM »
I have filed a feature request to add an option to display the matching paren in the status bar; it will be considered for a future release.  At this time, all 12.0 features are already scheduled.

I have also filed a feature request with respect to the parenthesis matching consistency.  The reason that this is a feature and not a defect is we need to add an option to force match the paren before the cursor instead of the paren the cursor is sitting on.  Switch your cursor to a block cursor (Tools > Options > General, More tab) for a while, and you'll see the inconsistency making this change would introduce if were not an option.  Note, that it could be implemented to depend on your cursor style, but that seems like a really bad idea to me, and I'm sure it would give our documentation team some sleepless nights.

Just to quickly jump in while someone is looking at paren matching:

Would it be possible to colour the matched area inside the parens? I had this feature in emacs, and I actually disabled the display of the matching line. Colouring the area inside the parens gives me a better sense of what's actually contained inside them and whether or not I've screwed up my matching. Hilighting two parentheses isn't visual enough for me.

I'd like to note that I don't want the area inside the parens SELECTED, just hilighted. If I do a copy or cut operation, it shouldn't operate on the area inside the parentheses.