Author Topic: The "Filter Editor" available in "find in files"  (Read 1426 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 189
  • Text
The "Filter Editor" available in "find in files"
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:34:49 pm »
I'm confused as to what this thing is supposed to do.
It looks really promising, but its wierd.

It seems to have all the filters defined in options, plus a smattering of the filters I've hand-typed in "file types" in the find dialog.

It lets me delete everything.
it lets me add new things.
When I restart Slick edit it doesn't remember any of the changes I made - it goes back to what it was before.

When I open the filter editor, select a filter and press OK (or double-click a filter), I'd expect that this filter either replace the "File types" setting, or add to it.
It doesn't do either - it seemingly does nothing.
Well, sometimes it does - but usually it doesn't. I haven't figured out exactly the steps here.

The filters listed don't appear to be sorted in any sensible way, making it hard to find the filter you are interested in.

Some filters (like Slick-c) are listed twice, and appear to be identical.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 189
  • Text
Re: The "Filter Editor" available in "find in files"
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:20:35 pm »
ping.

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Re: The "Filter Editor" available in "find in files"
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:26:03 pm »
The idea is to be able to edit the list that appears in the File types drop down.  The filters are listed in the order they are shown in the drop down.  You can reorder them to change this order.  This dialog is basically the same as the one found at Tools > Options > File Options > Files of Type Filters.

It's not really meant to do anything when you double-click.  Pressing OK just closes the dialog.  You're editing the filters, not choosing one, as that is what you do on the Find in Files dialog.

The not saving changes over a restart is a bug and will be fixed for the next beta drop.  I'm not seeing repeats, but I will look into making sure that doesn't happen.