Author Topic: Custom Menus : SE Menu Module : Causes Stack Error on exit - SE can not exit  (Read 3044 times)

PurdueEEGrad

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: -17
I created a SE menu module (*_mnu_MOD.e) that causes a Slickedit stack error
(Version 2 attached - _V2). 

I have attached screen shots of the stack error.

I have also attached an earlier version of the SE module - that did not
cause this problem (Version 1 attached - V1). 

Once loaded - Slickedit fails to exit - and instead gives a stack error
(as attached). 

The only way to exit SE is the kill the process in the Operating system. 

I've been through the Version 2 code several times - and still can not
find the bug.  Even if there is a bug in V2 - I posted this regarding the stack error.

I am running on MS Win 7 - 64 bit - Intel CPU - latest updates, etc.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
I tried your code.  I don't get the bad menu entry.  If I selectively add the sub menus (using #if 0) slick is fine with action, parametric, dynamic, static, binding submenus.  If I then include the collection theme, it doesn't make it into the menu tree if you inspect _ccv_Code_Theme_srh_mnu with the menu manager.

The first time I tried the above I got the stack you're getting on exit.  After starting again with a new config, the collection and relationship sub menus don't make it into the menu - but slick doesn't crash either.

I'm guessing slick doesn't like the sheer size of the menu tree you're giving it.
(using Win 7 64).

PurdueEEGrad

• Hero Points: -17
For now I can workaround this - via commands that just display new submenus - at the lower leaves of the menu tree.

At least you have a testcase that shows some SE limits - which can be addressed at the leisure of the SE dev team - sometime in the future.

Note that having a complex menu tree - allows the large lexicon (> 500 tags) of the code artifacts - to be condensed in way
that does NOT involve toolbars. This way I can have a smaller set of grep toolbars - with tags that are rarely used - searched via menu only mechanisms.

Thanks for looking this issue over. I'll work around it with second or third level menu displays for now - to break down the sheer size of the menu.

Graeme

Hi, I don't work for SlickEdit Inc.  - but I'm sure they noticed your post.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
Graeme,

You have great answers to complicated problems so often that it sometimes seems like you work for them. I appreciate your posts here. Have a hero point.  :)

Graeme

Thanks.  All the beta testers should get a hero point so... have one yourself :)