Author Topic: Graphics problem w/RC 1  (Read 4135 times)

mjdl

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.1.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
Graphics problem w/RC 1
« on: October 29, 2014, 06:33:33 AM »
RC 1 x86, Windows 8.1 x64 (all current updates) running on ThinkPad W520 with NVIDIA Quadro 1000M/Intel 3000HD "Optimus" graphics (RC 1 is using the Intel HD graphics). Standard latest Lenovo graphics drivers, default settings. Occurs w/upgraded Beta 6 SE config or with fresh default SE config.

RC 1 does not paint the window controls on *docked* windows, but they appear correctly when the tool window is floated; source code windows' controls are not painted correctly floated or MDI. (Beta 6 had no graphics issues

See the black squares in attached screen shots. How do I further diagnose this problem?

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 54
Re: Graphics problem w/RC 1
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
Drawing those buttons is more dynamic now so we can match the text color of the caption. Obviously something is going wrong on your box.

If anybody else is seeing this problem, please post a reply with your system specifics. Thanks!

++rodney

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »
Did I read this correctly? You are running 32-bit SE on 64-bit Windows 8.1? I'll try reproducing with that I suppose.

What else can you tell me about your setup? Using an alternate theme (Basic, Classic)? If so, what happens when you switch to the default theme?

Are you displaying at a lower color-depth (16-bit)?

Are you displaying over remote desktop?

++rodney

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.1.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:47:04 PM »
Thanks for your replies!
Yes, I have to confess I simply installed the x86 version on Win 8.1.1 without really thinking about it (I had been using the x64 version of SE 2013, so I'm not sure what I was thinking... other than that x86 graphics programs have never shown that kind of problem running in the WoW x64 environment).
I've since discovered that the Windows recovery environment on my machine no longer works (reagentc.exe /info returns an error message, even if both sfc.exe and dism.exe complete their checks and give a clean bill of health), so that has to be fixed immediately by an in-place non-destructive Windows refresh installation. At that time I'll also reinstall the Lenovo graphics driver package, as well as the x64 version of RC 1.

Sorry for wasting your time.

arog

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
I'm getting the same problem on win7 x64, with the 64 bit RC1.  Beta 6 worked fine.  I just downloaded it, installed with default settings and it's not drawing the controls.  I'm on a bootcamped MacBook Pro.  I have attached the info about Help->about if that's useful.  Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »
Okay we finally found a machine that reproduces the problem. I'll keep you posted.

++rodney

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:01:33 AM »
Fixed in the next drop. Thanks for catching this!

++rodney

Johnco3

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
Add me to the list of affected graphic problems - I just read this topic after I posted my graphics in a recent post describing release candidate issues.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
The problem boiled down to a mishandling of displays with adjusted dpi settings (e.g. 125% of normal under Windows display settings). Pretty common for modern laptop displays.

++rodney