Author Topic: RC1: Tool Window Problems  (Read 7381 times)

JeffB

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
RC1: Tool Window Problems
« on: October 30, 2014, 05:03:52 PM »
Is anyone else having issues with tool windows showing up at various places at startup?  I even wiped out my v19 slickedit directory and  let it create a new one.  VS seems intent on forcing tool windows I've closed to be docked somewhere.  If I close all windows except editor windows, it really jacked up the layout.  Every tool window was docked at the top, on top of the editor windows, but only using about 5% of the window.  The rest of the window is the Project tool window (I think) that has taken over the rest of the window.  This is totally unusable.  Everytime I restart, I get some tool windows issue.  I just restarted and now the 95% is the File Open...I can't even see the  other windows.

I'm attaching a screenshot.  Here's the sequence that got me here:
- Remove v19 slickedit directory so the v18 will be copied to v19
- I have Files Tool Window on the left.  VS forced the normal tool windows there instead (project, symbols...).  Close all those tool windows and restart VS
- Now VS forces all the tool windows to be docked in the lower horizontal toolbar where references, messages, and build tool windows usually are.  I close all those windows so I'm left with only 2 editor windows.  Restart VS.
- Add References to bottom horizontal position. Restart VS.
- Now File open window takes over pretty much the whole screen

Completely unusable.
Linux, Kubuntu 14.10.

JeffB

Re: RC1: Tool Window Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »
Each time I restart VS it gets worse.  New attachment after 3-4 restarts.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »
I got a very similar thing by going to the debugger and back.

Tim Kemp

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 05:23:32 PM »
I can recover by selecting Windows->Reset Window Layout. It does have the same problem I've seen elsewhere of not properly keeping track of the tool window pinning, but at least it makes SlickEdit usable again.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 54
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
Trying to reproduce this now. What happens if you start with a clean config (not one copied from v18)? Don't open a workspace. Try reproducing the problem without involving workspace restore. Give me the exact steps if you can reproduce the problem. Thanks.

++rodney

Tim Kemp

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 05:49:05 PM »
Rodney,

I can't even get it to reproduce with the existing configuration now.

JeffB

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:14:50 PM »
Went back to Beta6 and everything works fine (after re-configuring the messed up layout).

RC1 with no workspace and w/o copying form v18 config works fine as well.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »
@JeffB I might have a shot reproducing this if I had your v18 'vrestore.slk' from your config-dir/18.0.x directory.

++rodney

jorick

• Hero Points: 17
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »
I have my File Tabs docked just under the icons.  Sometimes when I exit SE and restart, the tool window is gone and I have to redisplay it and redock it.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 04:29:47 AM »
@JeffB @Tim Kemp - The tool-window layout issues are fixed in the next drop. Please give it a try. Thanks!

++rodney

JeffB

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »
No go, Rodney.  The Beta6  layout of the horizontal tools windows along the bottom was lost when I started RC2.  The selection of windows was also changed.  I usually have the Files tool window on the left edge of the window.  that was lost and replaced by Project and a handful of other tool windows I didn't have there.  After getting rid of them all and then adding only the Files tool window, I restarted and ~12 other tool windows were added to the Files tool window tab group.  Every time I do this, those other tool windows always come back.

Also, if I get rid of the left-edged tool window (so there are only two editor windows and one horizontal tool windows group across the bottom, dragging a tab from the bottom and trying to dock in on the left edge beside the editor windows, but above the bottom tool windows, results in that tab filling the whole top part of the screen so that the editor windows can't be seen.

You may not be able to make sense of all that, but it's still badly broken.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:51:48 PM »
The fix is in RC3 which has not been posted yet. Should be up soon.

++rodney

JeffB

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 08:17:40 PM »
+Rodney.  The layout issues seem to be fixed in RC3.  I can re-arrange and restart w/o issues.  I seem to recall a little "X" by the tool windows that are docked/visible.  If that was the case, it's missing now.  I have 7-8 tool windows docked, but none of them have an "X" (toolbars do have an "X").

Also, it seems that the layout is per-workspace now.  Is that intentional? I have 20+ workspaces that all come up with just two editor windows in them.  I can "Reset Window Layout", but that only gets it part of the way to how I want them.  I assume I can export once and then in each workspace, import just the "Additional Options/Toolbar and Tool Window Layout" to get them all to be the same.  Is that that only way to easily get them all to be the same?

Thanks,
Jeff

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 08:25:34 PM »
Edit:
Yes, per workspace now, but when switching workspaces we are only restoring layout for the floaters (not the main window). This means you should be able to reset for 1 workspace and, as you switch into the others, they will be fixed too. The only time the main window is restored from a workspace's .vpwhist (.vpwhistu on UNIX) is when you pass the .vpw workspace filename on the vs commandline.
If your workspace layout was corrupt and you saved the layout (either by exiting or switching workspaces), then it will stay messed up. You either need to reset each one, or delete all your affected *.vpwhist files.

++rodney
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:34:42 PM by Rodney »

JeffB

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »
Thanks, Rodney.  I always specify the workspace on the command line because I don't generally switch between workspaces, I start new ones and use multiple instances at a time.  Is there anyway to get back to the common layout?  I don't really want to edit numerous workspaces just because I changed a toolbar or re-arranged a window layout.

Also, is there supposed to be an "X" beside the visible or docked tool windows on the "View/Tool Windows" menu items?