Author Topic: RC2: Null pointer crash on main thread.  (Read 4054 times)

os2bird

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
RC2: Null pointer crash on main thread.
« on: November 01, 2014, 11:59:37 PM »
Hi!

experienced a crash with RC2, I think it may have something to do with tagging of the workspace, but it could be something totally else as I was trying to reattach the "Files" toolbar to the the left side of slickedit about the same time. 

A minidump attached of the incident is attached (I've got a larger (0.5GB) dump handy if this isn't sufficient to analyze the crash).

Kind Regards,
 bird.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
Re: RC2: Null pointer crash on main thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »
Did this happen shortly after starting SlickEdit, or switching workspaces, or had SlickEdit been open for a while first?

os2bird

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:58:02 PM »
The crash was from shortly after starting a freshly installed RC2.
--bird

os2bird

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
Installed RC3 just now and experienced some crashes that I think may be related.

So, I installed RC3. Started it. It starts retagging the workspace I'd left open when I closed down RC2 before installation. Sees a bunch of messages about "invalid index block" or some such thing. After 5-10 seconds windbg pops up with an heap corruption problem.  I save a large process dump and a small process dump (attached as heap-corruption-mini.zip), then closes the debugger and thereby SlickEdit.

Start SlickEdit again (still RC3 ofc). Crashes with an invalid pointer access in less than 2 seconds after I see the SlickEdit window.  Small dump attached as invalid-pointer-crash-mini.zip.

Started the gflags.exe utility that ships with windbg and enabled the paged heap for vs.exe. Start vs and it crashes after a short while inside tagsdb.dll, small dump attached as paged-heap-corruption-mini.zip.

I hope you can make some sense of these issues dumps.  If you need dumps with all memory included, I have those handy as well.

--bird

PS. After I recreated the workspace from scratch (delete everything associated with it) and restarted slickedit, it seems to work a bit better, even with the paged heap still enabled.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:48:27 PM »
We put some more safety checks into RC4 which might circumvent some of these crashes you are experiencing because of corrupted tag files.  I would recommend considering cleansing your machine of tag files, just find all of them and use vsmktags to rebuild them from scratch, or just plain delete them and let SlickEdit rebuild them as they are needed.