Author Topic: RC2 Linux 64- first launch opens vusermacs.e  (Read 4128 times)

tim_k

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 12
  • -Tim
RC2 Linux 64- first launch opens vusermacs.e
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »
This happened on RC1 and I think B6 as well. On the first launch after installing SE, the workspace that was open when last SE was quit opens as expected, but vusermacs.e is also opened. This only happens on the first launch after installing the new version, subsequent launches only open the workspace/files that were open when SE quit. The last time I installed over a previous version, this time I installed in a fresh directory. Both times vusermacs.e was opened on first launch. This hasn't happened on the Mac version.

-Tim

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: RC2 Linux 64- first launch opens vusermacs.e
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:46:39 PM »
Usually I've only seen something like that when there was an error or warning in that file.    What happens if you open up vusrmacs.e and then run "load" in the command line? 

tim_k

• -Tim
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:20:43 PM »
Sure enough, there's an error in the file. It appears I have the same macro command name in 2 different files.
The error is mine, but the reporting could be a bit clearer. Just opening a file isn't much of an indication of an error.

Also, it would be really nice if the "user-loaded modules" dialog would let you open macro files directly from the list. As it is now, the dialog is modal (ick) and I have to note the path to the macro, close the dialog, then open the macro. An 'open' button, or right-click option would be really handy there.

-Tim

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »
Can you post the vusrmacs.e file here?

tim_k

• -Tim
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »
I've attached the vusermacs.e file. I thought the original problem was because there's multiple instances of the command 'testReplace()', but I commented those out, and now it complains elsewhere if I try and load the module.

Warning: this file is probably a fine example of how not to write SlickEdit macros  :). I pulled it down from the SlickEdit forums years ago (early 2000's, note the references from the original author to "Visual SlickEdit") and have been corrupting it in bits/pieces since.

Most of the commands I have duplicated into a different .e file for a language specific menu (which loads without issue), and tweaked to work with that language (SystemVerilog) because I've been too lazy to make the macros work with the Verilog/SystemVerilog differences.

-Tim

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »
It looks like there's several commands repeated in here.  I'm not sure why, but that seems to be why it won't compile.  There seems to be three of everything.  I'm not sure why that would happen.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »
Here's a "solo" version of the file.  I think this contains everything (once).

tim_k

• -Tim
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
Wow, I have no idea what happened there. It looks like every command is duplicated three times, as if the entire file were copied/pasted within itself. I haven't touched that file in nearly a year, so clearly this has been a silent problem for at least that long.

I just noticed this at the end of the file:
// These macros imported on 1/9/2014.
// End imported macros.

I looked at the same file on the Mac side of things (this has all been on Linux thus far) and that vusermacs.e only has one set of macros (it ends at line 450). I'm wondering if there was some sort of import problem back in January that I never caught, and didn't notice the missing functionality because It's duplicated in the SystemVerilog specific macro file. I deleted the extra 2 instances of everything, and it loads fine.

Clearly the bad file is my issue, but I think there should be a better indication that something is wrong on launch.

-Tim