Author Topic: Crash when attempting to retag my project when no workspace loaded  (Read 4141 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
I have my SE configured to open without reopening the last workspace - it helps to get it to start quickly in case any network files were open.

Well sometimes I forget there is no workspace there, and I tried to find references to a member variable in a .h file and didn't see all the references I was expecting.

So I attempted to retag my project, and SE crashed. I think it crashed because I did not have a workspace loaded.

I think it could be useful to "idiot proof" this situation - if a user tries to retag and no workspace or project loaded, let the user know, and don't crash SE.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: Crash when attempting to retag my project when no workspace loaded
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »
Can you reproduce this?  How did you retag the project?  When I go to the Tag Files dialog in this situation, I don't get a workspace tag file.

rowbearto

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
I did it from the pull down menus:

Project->Retag Workspace and Project->Retag Project

rowbearto

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »
Yes, I can reproduce it.

The "Retag Project" menu item is not grayed out when no workspace is loaded, but the "Retag Workspace" menu item is grayed out.

I think "Retag Project" should be grayed out when no workspace is loaded.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »
I think it should be grayed out.  I'm still not getting the crash, I get a message box about it not being found.

rowbearto

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 02:19:15 PM »
It crashes consistently on my side. But if you grey it out, then it will prevent me from doing this, and make me realize I need to load my workspace. Thanks!

rowbearto

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »
On a related note, sometimes when I have no workspace loaded, but don't realize it, I may do a cross reference search (highlight a variable name, then press Ctrl+/).

Then, I only see a few of the references (mostly in the same file), but not all the references I am expecting (such as in other files not loaded into SE at the time).

If you could provide a warning that no workspace/project is loaded if cross-reference search is attempted when workspace/project is not loaded, it could be useful to me.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
It crashes consistently on my side. But if you grey it out, then it will prevent me from doing this, and make me realize I need to load my workspace. Thanks!
Done for next drop.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »
Fixed the crash bug.

On the note about warning when the workspace is not open, the problem is that this would be a pretty annoying nag message for people who work on single file shell scripts or perl scripts, or other things that do not require a project.

This is one of the things I like about symbol coloring, it makes it pretty obvious when the current file isn't part of the current workspace.