Author Topic: Floating references window obscures search results  (Read 4703 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Floating references window obscures search results
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »
Using RC4.
I have the references toolwindow and search results windows floating and overlapping on a second monitor.  When I do a search, slick always brings the refs window to the front, obscuring the search results window.  The on top settings are un-checked and un-changeable.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 54
Re: Floating references window obscures search results
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:04:06 AM »
How do I reproduce this? I have the mainwindow on display 1, Search Results and Refs overlapped floating on display 2. Even if Refs starts out on top of Search Results, Search Results is always correctly raised with results, in every scenario I try. Questions:
Find or Find in Files? (both worked for me)
Platform? (I'm on Windows right now, and I don't remember yours)
Does the Find and Replace you are searching from float or is it docked?
If the Find and Replace window is docked, is it docked to the mainwindow or another floater?
Is the Find and Replace window auto-hidden?

++rodney

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 12:19:28 AM »
Find in files on Win 7 and find in files is floating and disappears when I start the search.  All of my floating windows temporarily disappear when I start the search.

I have tested a bit more.  With search results grouped with build, message list and output it goes wrong.  If I make search results a window by itself, it's still wrong the first time but after that it comes to the front on search.  BTW - I did a reset-window-layout after I ran RC4 for the first time.  Let me know if you want me to try a clean config.

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 12:22:52 AM »
Also references is a window by itself, not grouped.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 12:30:26 AM »
I understand now. For now you'll need to turn off "Hide when application inactive". The problem is we are unhiding the floaters in the wrong order.

Edit: Also, the background file search actually spawns a hidden instance of vs.exe which deactivates the current instance, which is why the tool-windows hide in the first place. So another workaround would be to turn off background searches.

Yet another workaround would be to tile Refs with the tabgroup, either horizontally or vertically so the overlap problem is a non-issue.

++rodney
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:33:49 AM by Rodney »

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 12:57:51 AM »
Unhiding the floaters in the right order sounds difficult.  I'm trying a slightly new layout to what I used to have, refs is a different size to the others and since I don't need refs and search results visible at the same time, I'm sharing the space - but it's not essential to have refs a different size.  I don't need background searches so I've turned that off and it's fine.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 01:01:15 AM »
Scratch my comment about unhiding in order, that's not it. The problem is when a tabgroup becomes visible, the process of making the current tab visible also changes focus, which I think is the problem, but not sure. I'll have to noodle that one.

++rodney
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:06:20 AM by Rodney »

Graeme

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
With RC5, if I have floating windows as described above, output, build, message list, search results grouped together and with references a floating window that partially overlaps the search results group :-  with references on top of the others (i..e the foreground window), in the main menu, click view -> toolwindows -> build - the build window doesn't come to the foreground.  The correct tab gets selected but the window doesn't come to the foreground.  Not a major problem though.