Author Topic: Issues with new SlickEdit...just installed yesterday...  (Read 4143 times)

sirglasgow

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Issues with new SlickEdit...just installed yesterday...
« on: November 13, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »
1) Does not list classes with the same name separately anymore:

In a given source code directory there may be files named "object.cc" and "object.h" containing code for the class Object.  In another directory supporting other functionality often have "driver" directory which contains a slimed down version of this class for testing purposes.  That "driver" subdirectory also has "object.cc" and "object.h" files.

Problem:  The Symbol Tool Window, only one listing for Object appears, and it is defaulting to the one in the "driver" directory which contains next to nothing.  If I check "Show all tags" then I get all the members I expect to see from the main file, but I also get the members from the "driver" version.  In the past, Object had two entries in the Symbol Tool Window, one for the main file and one for the one in the "driver" directory.  I don't like using the "Show all tags" check box becuase it shows me inherited classes, but now I have to use it just to get to the members in the main file.

2) CVS VC is broken:

a) CVS History for any file:

- Top left window shows:

File:
            URL:
            Revision:

- Top right window has one number listed...no labels, nothing.  There are many revisions to the file I'm looking at that are not showing up.

- The bottom window has some shell output but NOTHING else.

- My option is "Diff" and it says file not found.

- The View button shows only some shell output and nothing from the file itself.

b) The Diff <file> with most up to date version option under Version Control works, but I get some Shell output at the top of the copy from the repository.

c) What happened to the Version Control - Browse History option?

Thanks,
Steve

sirglasgow

• Community Member
Re: Issues with new SlickEdit...just installed yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »
hmmm...on topic 2...

I exited Slickedit 2014, backed up my project directory, started Slickedit 2013, and CVS history worked just fine.

I then exited Slickedit 2013, restored my project directory, went back into Slickedit 2014, and CVS history was still working fine.

The only thing I can think of is that after setting up version control for CVS, I needed to restart Slickedit 2014.  Based on the steps I performed above, that is really all I did.

Oh well, it's working now as far as I can see, but I still would like some feedback on item #1.  Is there a reason that classes in different directories with the same name are now combined into a single item in the Symbol Tool Window?  I can live with it, but it's a change I was not expecting.

Thanks,
Steve

sirglasgow

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:42:23 PM »
On issue #1...

It appears that the current functionality also existed in Slickedit 2013, because I only get one item for the Object class in the Symbol Tool Window in that version too.  But, by default it shows the items in the main file, not the one in the "drivers" directory.  In fact, I can't get 2013 to show anything from the file in the "drivers" directory.

Prior to Slickedit 2013, I used Slickedit 2011, skipping Slickedit 2012 and I know that version gave me duplicate entries for classes like Object in the Symbols Tool Window.

Now sure how it's really supposed to work at this point, but I can get to anything I need by checking "Show all tags".

Also confused why 2014 defaults to the smaller Object file, while the previous version defaulted to the main Object file.

Steve

sirglasgow

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »
I really enjoy having a discussion with myself.    :D

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 54
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »
Please post a simple example. You can zip up the project tree and attach it to your reply.

++rodney

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 01:58:55 AM »
The bug in the Symbol tool window appears to track back to a very old typo.  If there are multiple classes with the same name, we should show all of them in the Symbols tool window.  I am adding this to the first rev of the hot fix for SlickEdit 2014.  I also added some additional logic for Go to Definition from the Symbols tool window to deal with duplicates better.  This is particularly useful in this case, and with package names.

sirglasgow

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »
Thank you...I look forward to the hotfix.  Everything else seems to be working as advertised.  Slickedit is a great tool.

Steve

jwiede

• Hero Points: 12
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 02:33:42 AM »
The bug in the Symbol tool window appears to track back to a very old typo.  If there are multiple classes with the same name, we should show all of them in the Symbols tool window.  I am adding this to the first rev of the hot fix for SlickEdit 2014.  I also added some additional logic for Go to Definition from the Symbols tool window to deal with duplicates better.  This is particularly useful in this case, and with package names.

As our conventions often use "shadow classes" for protocols/interfaces, this problem has been occurring quite a bit (where multiple same-named classes get condensed into a single class in table).  It is very frustrating not being able to access the separate definitions distinctly.  Its choice of which is "real" also appears somewhat arbitrary, instead of predictably deterministic, which further limits the value of the current display.

Any idea when that first hotfix will be released?

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 54
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 02:36:36 AM »
TBA. We need to get a few other fixes together, but it should be soon.

++rodney