Author Topic: XML Outline view - SE 2014 (V19)  (Read 775 times)

ewendt

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
XML Outline view - SE 2014 (V19)
« on: November 15, 2014, 09:33:17 am »
hello

perhaps this is a stupid question, but I did not find it (and in V18 it did work)

If I have an XML file and do not want to format a special outline view: is there a generic XML outline format?

Just an outline view that outlines the nodes in their hierarchy?

At present I see in DEFS ... nothing - if I do not define some format. But then I have to feed in knowledge about the nodes.

Why are the nodes not parsed from XML and offered automatically?

They are parsed, because they are offered in a dropdown list, so for each node name a format can be specified. But why do I have to click every node manually and specify manually a format? For complex files, delete of unwanted nodes and modify the wanted is more efficient then insert the wanted...

Did I miss something in configuration?

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: XML Outline view - SE 2014 (V19)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:41:00 pm »
The XML outline view will use a default mode which only shows XML tags for any XML document is not mapped to a specific outline view mode.  (See <config>/outlineschemes/outlineviewschememap.xml).

You could also try turning off the XML outline view.  If you also do not want to see attribute values as separate nodes right click and turn off "Variables > Data Members".  Note that this will also effect other languages modes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:02:25 pm by Dennis »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 08:52:03 pm »
After a little bit more testing of the XML outline mode I stumbled across a few bugs that I added fixes for to the hot fix.  I also added a more explicit way for you to configure a document to use the Default XML outline mode.

ewendt

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 11:37:24 pm »
outline "view/select format rules" is clicked,  the "generic" format as one  (perhaps the first)  of the offered offered formats would be nice

then this toggle on/off is perhaps not needed any more?

---

in Defs context menue "outline view/show outline view" the outline view can be toggled on/off - but I notice no indication if the outline view is active or not. And if outline view is not working, neither on nor off displays anything -  no hint which state is valid now. And sometimes (after editing in the outline view tree) toggle on/off does something - but not on/off.

default view seems to be displayed it the pop up box to define an outline view format is canceled (so cancel should be better named "use generic default")

seems as if Defs-Window miss a display of the chosen outline view format - just to get the user a little bit more informed

----

Why define an outline view format if there is an xls scheme? What about read the scheme as an initial start for an own outline view format?

----

Editing in outline mode is really nice! Good work.
I use it for a prototype of a more complex config file, where normally we would use XML SPY by Altova.
Only thing I miss in slickedit is this nice grid-view of an XML tree  ;)  Altova offer.