Author Topic: Perforce integration on Windows?  (Read 14576 times)

mrothman

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Perforce integration on Windows?
« on: July 13, 2006, 01:45:46 pm »
I have SlickEdit for both windows and linux.  I notice that there is a Perforce version control option on Linux, but not on Windows.  We're switching to Perforce in a few months, so at some point this will be relevant to me.

Since I'm an enthusiastic but somewhat klutzy modifier of various SlickEdit configuration files, and a Slick-C macro writer, it's possible that I somehow knocked out the Perforce option on windows, but I don't think so.

Anyone know why Perforce isn't there on Windows?  Thanks.

Jeff Nicholson

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Perforce integration on Windows?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 05:55:08 pm »
Make sure you have the Perforce SCC plugin installed.  Tools/Version Control/Setup... should show Perforce SCM in the  SCC providers group.

--Jeff

gweeper

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:22:12 pm »
I'm having trouble with integrating Perforce into Slickedit.  I can select and initialize Perforce as my SCC selection, but I am unable to open a project properly.  When I choose it, I get the client name and local path query from Slickedit and fill that out as recommended in help ("//depot" and "c:\work\sf3" for my setup).  Then, I get the P4 open connection dialog, similar to when I start P4V.  I fill out the data on that the same as I would for P4V, and hit OK, and then Slickedit returns a "Could not open project.  Bad request structure length" error.

I sent an email off to Slickedit support, but apparently my company didn't buy me a support contract, so I'm not the most hopeful on getting a response there.  (I thought we had ordered support, but that's an issue to take up with my company...)

Has anyone reading here actually gotten Perforce SCC working in Slickedit 11.x?  I imagine someone must have, but I'd like to know that I'm not trying the impossible here.

The only things I can thing of is that our workviews are mapped kind of crazily, with directories remapped up and down and across every which way, and maybe Slickedit doesn't like that?

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:52:09 pm »
I'm not a big Perforce user, but I do have a test instance running under v11.0.1 and everything works fine for me. I tested this using both the 2005 and 2006 versions.

Are you able to access your repository through P4V? If so, click the Advanced button on the Version Control Setup menu and make sure the options are correct for your server, particularly the Connection tab.

--Scott

gweeper

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 06:35:40 pm »
Yes, I am able to access the project through P4V.

I tried all various combinations of options in Perforce SCC, without success, but I did find something suspicious looking.  I enabled logging to file, and saw this snippet in the output:

13:16:48 2:   AuxProjPath empty; showing config dialog.
13:16:48 2:   Setting configuration from P4 environment
13:16:48 1:   AuxProjPath changed to: P4SCC#our_p4_server:1667##my_p4_login##JustinB_TCO_SF3
13:16:48 1:   Client root: c:\work\sf3
13:16:48 2:   Running p4 where on local project path returned no depot path
13:16:48 1:   Result: SCC_E_INVALIDFILEPATH, elapsed time=193/154018ms

Which got me thinking that it might be directory mappings like I thought...  So I played with "p4 where" a bit on the command line:

Code: [Select]
C:\work\sf3>p4 where
//depot/TSE/SF3/F1_dev/... //JustinB_TCO_SF3/SF3/... c:\work\sf3\SF3\...
//depot/TSE/SF3/Master/... //JustinB_TCO_SF3/Master/... c:\work\sf3\Master\...
//depot/TSE/Shared/... //JustinB_TCO_SF3/Shared/... c:\work\sf3\Shared\...
//depot/TSE/SF3/Tools/... //JustinB_TCO_SF3/Tools/... c:\work\sf3\Tools\...

C:\work\sf3>p4 where .
. - must refer to client 'JustinB_TCO_SF3'.

C:\work\sf3\SF3>p4 where .
. - file(s) not in client view.

C:\work\sf3\SF3\source>p4 where .
//depot/TSE/SF3/F1_dev/source //JustinB_TCO_SF3/SF3/source c:\work\sf3\SF3\source

I suspect that Slickedit is trying to do a "p4 where" to find a reference location, and getting a bad result because of our odd mappings.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 06:37:16 pm by gweeper »

gweeper

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 06:55:17 pm »
Success.

After playing around on the command line I discovered that I could do "p4 where c:\work\sf3\sf3\source" and get a result.  So, I put that in as my "Local Path" in the Open Project dialog.  Slickedit opens the project just fine now, and everything seems to be working.

I tested and am able to do history and checkout commands on files even outside of the c:\work\sf3\sf3\source directories successfully.  Which leads me to wonder what actual purpose that "Local Path" option has, since it obviously doesn't seem to restrict either SlickEdit's or Perforce's visibility of the files in revision control.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:02:41 pm »
I'm glad you figured this out, because I was stumped. Not being a heavy Perforce user, I couldn't say how to deal with a more complex project like yours. Without more research, I can't really say what the specifics are on the Local Path field. Be sure to test out your setup and make sure that files you check out are indeed going where you expect.

--Scott

petejm

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 06:09:36 pm »
I ran into this exact same problem & the solution given here also worked for me. I would recommend this information be clarified & put into the help section for setting up Perforce, it would've saved me quite a bit of time had it be there and not here!

Tom Plunket

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:37:35 pm »
P4CONFIG is the One True Path, IMO.

Set the envvar P4CONFIG to some name, say ".p4config" or "p4config.txt".  Then put a file with that name in each of your source roots with the options for that project.

E.g. I've got the same depot mapped several times on my workstation, so I can work on overlapping functionality without worrying about the pieces interfering with each other.  In each I have common settings for P4USER, P4HOST, etc., and they differ only in their P4CLIENT.

The Perforce docs lay all of this out.

petejm

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 03:55:14 pm »
Sorry Tom, you've lost me. How would this solve the problem with SlickEdit's Perforce integration?