Author Topic: Why aren't all files expanded when browsing for code references  (Read 2616 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 101
Why aren't all files expanded when browsing for code references
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »
Hi:

When I do a cross reference search in SE, not all the files get "expanded" sometimes.

I have illustrated this in the attached screenshots.

My desire is that each file is "expanded".

Thanks,
Rob

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 410
Re: Why aren't all files expanded when browsing for code references
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 05:07:00 pm »
There can be several reasons.
  • There were tons of references, and it hit the limit for the number it's going to expand before stopping.  Tools > Options > Editing > Context Tagging > Maximums > Maximum items found in references search.
  • You hit a key after hitting Ctrl+/, or you hit escape, or clicked with the mouse, which interrupted the references search.  If you watch the message bar, you'll see that while it's searching files, it also says "Press any key to stop".
  • This doesn't look like it is what is happening to you, based on your screen shots, but another reason is if references is configured to expand incrementally.  Tools > Options > Editing > Context Tagging > References > Find references incrementally

rowbearto

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:21:05 pm »
Attached are screen shots of my settings.

I'm pretty sure I did not hit a key.

Maximums look pretty high and I do not have find references incrementally turned on.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 90
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:27 pm »
From what I've seen, even moving the mouse will cause it to stop and not expand everything.

rowbearto

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 09:57:41 pm »
I confirm that moving the mouse seems to be what is causing it not to expand.

If I do not move the mouse at all then everything gets expanded.

Thanks for this observation Tim Kemp!

rowbearto

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 12:41:48 am »
I think we should be able to move the mouse (but not click it) and have the references still expand.

So I would like to request a fix for this.

rowbearto

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:41:53 pm »
I still see this issue in 19.0.2 RC when I move the mouse.

Any chance this could be fixed in 19.0.2? It is kind of annoying.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03:51 pm »
What platform are you on? 

I've tested this with the 19.0.2 RC1 on Windows, Linux, and the Mac (Mavericks).  References seems to be working as designed on each platform.  If you move the mouse, it will pause briefly because of the activity, but then it will resume searching.  It does this in order to get out of the way of any activity currently going on.

If you are on X-Windows and using a window manager with focus-follows-mouse turned on, then moving the mouse might be generating application activate or focus loss events, and that might be what is causing references to stop.

The only case where it just plain stops without clicking or hitting a key was when it hit the maximum number of references, which you can configure:  Tool > Options > Editing > Context tagging > Maximums

rowbearto

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:26:03 pm »
I'm using this with the cygwin-X server. I'm running SE on Red Hat 5, but I am using the cygwin-X server to display it.

The issue is still there for me on 19.0.2.0

rowbearto

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:27:48 pm »
Also, I don't think I have focus-follows mouse turned on. When I move the mouse, other X windows don't see to get activated.

I just tested it with 2 xterm windows. I have to click inside the window of the inactive one in order to make it active.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 12:32:13 am »
Finally reproduced it.  You were moving the mouse over the references preview window, which was catching the event and stopping the search.  I did not notice that because I always use the single-tree references view.  Will put in a fix for 19.0.2 final release.

rowbearto

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 01:25:04 am »
My mouse is originally in the editor window. I double click the symbol I want to reference in the editor window and press Ctrl+/.  Then if I move the mouse and am just over the editor window, they stop expanding. So I'm not moving the mouse over the preview tab, and I already have the single-tree references view tab open at the bottom. And I'm just moving the mouse inside the editor window.

rowbearto

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:49 am »
Is this correct? I consider the "references preview" window to be the tab labelled "preview". And I consider the "single-tree references view" as the tab labelled "references". Is this the correct understanding?

Just moving the mouse over the editor window stops the expanding in the "references" tab for me.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 01:49:26 am »
The references window has two options.  Look for the buttons in the upper-right hand corner.  The two-pane view has the tree of file names and symbols on the left and an editor control on the right with a preview of the currently selected item.  The single-pane view has only the tree control.

When I say "references preview", I mean the editor control on the References tool window when you are using the two-pane view. 

Switch to the single-pane view, and I would expect the problem to go away, unless you have a specific problem with your mouse sending spurious wheel messages or something unusual like that.

rowbearto

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 02:37:09 am »
OK, I think I understand now.

When I do use single-pane view, yes the issue doesn't happen. So my understanding is that you have fixed the issue that occurs in the 2-pane view for the next release? If so - sweet :)

I have a small caveat though. My files are on the network, and I did a cross-reference search on a symbol that is referenced in many places. SE was taking a while to find them all (due to network), but did display the ones it found so far in the single-pane view. So I thought while I was waiting for all of them to be shown, I could move the vertical scroll bar on the right of the single-pane tree. When I do this, the references all freeze and don't expand - I guess the search is stopped? It would be nice to be able to move the scroll bar while SE finishes the search without causing the search to stop, but it is a minor annoyance. Maybe something to fix in a future release?

I'm glad you reproduced my issue and have a fix. Thanks!