Author Topic: Why do some entries in key binding dialog lack descriptions? v2011  (Read 740 times)

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
When I enter "backta" into the "Search by command" box on the key binding dialog, I am presented with 6 backtab commands that are available. As I click onto each one, some have descriptions and some don't. Why? How am I to know what the differences between them are.

See attached screenshot. You will see that "for-backtab" is highlighted but there is no description. The same for cob-backtab.

Jim

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 351
Re: Why do some entries in key binding dialog lack descriptions? v2011
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 05:16:12 pm »
The dialog lists all commands, but not all commands are documented.  If you are looking for a specific functionality, I would recommend sticking to trying the commands that are documented, because the ones that aren't documented usually have a very specific purpose and are not intended for general use.  For example, cob_backtab contains specific logic for Cobol and for_backtab is for Fortran.

JimmieC

• Hero Points: 14
Re: Why do some entries in key binding dialog lack descriptions? v2011
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:58:41 pm »
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the explanation. A future enhancement, it might be nice to have a checkbox hide commands not intended for general use. I know some power users would want access anyway so they could enable it with the checkbox. For those like me that don't do much macro or key binding, it would simplify things.

Regards,
Jim