Author Topic: GDB debugging very slow  (Read 10259 times)

poussinfrais

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
GDB debugging very slow
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »
I am new to Slickedit (using 18.0.1).  I love it but the debugger is painfully slow (on my setup).  The app I am trying to debug is multi-threaded, with more than 100 threads.  Once I attach to the running process, any action takes a long time (7-8 seconds), including each time I step to next line.  I enabled gdb output via the def-debug-logging macro variable and found out that every step-next command also issues a "-thread-info" command.  This command always takes a very long time (6-7 seconds), hence the slow performance.  Why does Slickedit need to call -thread-info every time?  Is this a bug?  Is there any way to disable this or use a more efficient command to retrieve thread info?  Or maybe I set an option I shouldn't have set?

Thanks for your help!

poussinfrais

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: GDB debugging very slow
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
Btw I did read this thread:

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,9708.msg41520.html

However having tried other IDEs on Linux (QtCreator being one of them), I don't see a reason why debugging should be that slow even for a frontend.  I realized while going back to QtCreator that it also queries thread information at each steps but it seems somewhat faster (about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time) to respond.