Author Topic: Slickedit often freezes when refreshing a project with wildcard files  (Read 3162 times)

evanratt

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
As the subject says: often (not always), when I right click on the vpw file in the 'Projects' tool window, and select 'Refresh' to refresh the wildcard file list, Slickedit crashes ("This program has stopped responding..." dialog box). This happened in the previous RC, as well.

Code: [Select]
SlickEdit Pro 2014 (v19.0.2.2 64-bit)

Serial number: WB824242
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\19\slickedit.lic

Build Date: March 17, 2015
Emulation: Epsilon

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 48% Load, 7968MB/16309MB Physical, 10186MB/32617MB Page File, 278MB/8388607MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\TCCLE13x64\tcc.exe
Screen Size: 1920 x 1200, 1200 x 1600

Project Type: Unity
Language: .cs (C#)
Encoding: Automatic

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 19.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,34494MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\evan\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\19.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,34494MB free)

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 410
Re: Slickedit often freezes when refreshing a project with wildcard files
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:19 pm »
Could you send a minidump of the crash in to support (or zip it up and post it here)?

What are the exact wildcard's you are using ?  Are you using exclusions with the wildcard list?  Is it possible to also post the project file (.vpj) here or send it into support along with the minidump?

Finally, is the crash immediate, or does it happen later (after the Refresh finishes, and control returns to the editor, and the new files are being tagged ?

Given that you have had these crashes, it is very likely that you also have a corrupt tag file.  Have you tried deleting your workspace tag file and trying again?

evanratt

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:17:12 pm »
How do I generate or find the minidump? I'd be happy to post it or send it in next time it happens.

I first noticed this happening in a C++ project, with the filespecs being:
*.c;*.cc;*.cpp;*.cp;*.cxx;*.c++;*.h;*.hh;*.hpp;*.hxx;*.inl;*.xpm;*.asm
and the exclusions being:
dep\;out\

However, I just today started a new workspace with a C# project, with the filespec being just:
*.cs
and no exclusions, and the problem happened again.

When I click Refresh, I get the spinning "working" icon for about a half-second and then the crash happens; control never returns to the editor.

I haven't tried deleting the tag file yet, because usually when I restart the editor, Refreshing works. Unfortunately, it's not a consistently reproducible problem.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 07:49:57 pm »
To create the mini dump after the SlickEdit stops responding, attach to SlickEdit using Visual Studio, hit the pause button to suspend the app, and then select Debug > Save Dump As... and choose Minidump (very compact) or Minidump with heap (very large, but a bit more useful).

You can also do it from Task Manager, but you might not get the option to create the compact version.  While the Windows crash dialog is displayed, bring up Task Manager, Processes, right-click on 'vs.exe' and select "Create Dump File".

What is the nature of the file system you are scanning?  Local file system?  Windows share?  Samba share?  NFS?  Clearcase view?  Cloud?  Removable media?  RAM Drive?

Does the file system contain symbolic links?

Do you have background tagging enabled?  Tools > Options... > Editing > Context Tagging

evanratt

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:57:57 pm »
I have background tagging of open files, enabled, as well as "Update workspace tag file on open" and "Update workspace tag file on activate", but not "background tagging of other files" under "Background updating of tag files".

I'm just using a normal local hard drive, nothing fancy or fishy there.

I just got the problem to happen again; I'll upload the minidump to support attached to case "evanratt".

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:13:36 am »
Do you still have this problem with 19.0.2 RC3 ?

If so, how many files are in your project?  The minidump you sent in only showed that the editor was busy filling in the project tool window.

evanratt

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:22:22 pm »
I haven't had the problem yet with RC3, but I have been out of the office for a few days. The previous project that had the problem was about 5000 files, the current project that has had the problem is brand new from scratch, only around 30 files.

I'll let you know if it happens again.

evanratt

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »
Whoops, just had it happen again with RC4.

evanratt

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »
I tried using a new configuration ("vs -sc c:\testconfig") and experienced the same problem. I did export my options from the original configuration and import them into this one; I'll try again with a new configuration and not importing my options (although I dread setting everything up the way I like it again...)

evanratt

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:24:42 pm »
And it just happened with a completely fresh configuration and original options. Seems to be fine if I refresh the project within a few minutes of opening SlickEdit, but if I wait a few minutes and then try, it hangs.

evanratt

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:56 pm »
Had this happen again with RC5. I don't know what else could be odd about my system; I've tried with a completely clean configuration and had this problem.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 378
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 04:23:13 pm »
Since Dennis noticed that the minidump indicated we were filling in the project tool window, have you tried closing the Project tool window? It would be helpful to know if the problem only occurs when the Project tool window is open.

evanratt

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 05:04:04 pm »
I refresh the project by right-clicking on the project or workspace in the Project Window and choosing Refresh. Is there a command I can run to do the same thing without the Project Window open?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 378
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 06:05:09 pm »
Use the Project menu (Project>Refresh).

evanratt

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »
I have not had the issue occur in the few days that I've had the Project Window closed, and been using the Project menu Refresh command.