Author Topic: Problem with backup history browser  (Read 1690 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Problem with backup history browser
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:51:40 pm »
I was digging deep into my backup history and run into this problem.
I select an old file in the top half of the window, then I check a file in the bottom half.
When I click DIFF, slick complains that it doesn't have enough versions of the file.

I think that its date comparison is wrong, or maybe the message it gives is just wrong.

If I select a file change dated 10/31/2012, then I choose a file that has only been modified after that date (starting on 6/25/2014), then Slick should have nothing to complain about.

If slick feels the need to complain here, then instead of complaining "not enough versions" (which in other contexts - like version control - usually means that there are 0 or 1 commited revisions), it should say something like "There are no changes to this file older than 11/31/2012, would you like to see all of the available changes?"

(NOTE: The message oughta have the actual date instead of the generic text "the selected date")

Or, it could just say nothing and go ahead and open the versions diff window.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 146
Re: Problem with backup history browser
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:58:10 pm »
It is trying to find a version of the file as old as what you selected in the top half of the dialog.  Since it can't, it is offering to show the oldest version of the the file you selected.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Re: Problem with backup history browser
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:41:58 pm »
Yeah, but since the date of the change on the selected file is used as a filter for what shows on the bottom, most of the files on the bottom will be not as old as the one selected. (Well, not quite true - but I think you get my point here).
So it shouldn't be surprising at all.
I think that that error dialog is pointless and confusing - it makes me think something is wrong, when in fact its just fine.