Author Topic: Pre-populate find-in-files with current directory?  (Read 5117 times)

Andrew

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Pre-populate find-in-files with current directory?
« on: February 13, 2007, 03:04:50 PM »
newbie question:

I'm sure there's a way to specify that you want the find-in-files window to be pre-populated with the "current directory" by default, I just can't find it anywhere.

I find this much more useful than using the last search directory for a default.

Any suggestions?

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Pre-populate find-in-files with current directory?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:23:14 PM »
There is not an option to initialize the find/replace in files with the current directory, it always contains the previously set location(s).  However, setting the location to  "." (single period no quotes), files are searched starting from the current working directory.

Andrew

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Pre-populate find-in-files with current directory?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »
Thanks, Lee - that's exactly what I'm looking for.

BTW one thing that would be nice would be a command-line version that takes the search string (press Enter), then shows the current path (rather than the dot), highlighted, with the cursor placed at the end, so that you could overwrite, right-arrow then modify the path, or simply press enter.

The reason this would be nice is that some editors allow you to append a glob at the end of the path. For example, you might type:

**\*.{h,cpp}

at the end of the path to search recursively through child directories within h and cpp files. For people accustomed to "globbing" this is natural because you don't then need to reach for the mouse. But that's kind of an advanced feature. You may already have this and I just can't find it. If not, using the regular gui-find will work for me for now...