Author Topic: Tag file creation fails to scan source files RC 19.0.2.5 Windows (64 bit)  (Read 1298 times)

RSanford

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
When attempting to add a new tag file to a specified language, i.e. C++, the create new tag file operation creates the specified tag file, but does not appear to scan the files from the specified source directory, e.g. C:\boost_1_58_0\boost. After the create operation completes, no files are listed for the tag file.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 374
You selected to "Build tag files in background if possible".  My bet is that it wasn't done scanning for files when you looked. 

Also, Boost has a lot of extensionless source files, so you may need to configure SlickEdit to recognize extensionless files in that directory as C++.  Tools > Options > Languages > Extensionless File Manager...

Another tip: Boost has a lot of sample code and test cases under their source directory you will want to exclude from the tag file build.  Otherwise you get an unnecessarily large tag file with a lot of garbage in it that is not part of the Boost API.

RSanford

• Community Member
Selecting the Rebuild Tag File for a selected tag file has in the past forced an update. But neither the Rebuild Tag File or the background update appear to locate any of the source files specified in the include file extension list. The existence of the Boost include files (hpp) has been confirmed.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
Another tip:  Don't build a tag file for boost with references.  Unless you are developing Boost itself, you don't need cross-referencing within the boost library.

There is an inconsistency between the paths you mention and what shows up in your screen capture.  Do you have Boost under C:\boost_1_58_0\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\boost_1_58_0\ ?

If you do not use the background tagging option, are the files found ?

If you use the background tagging option, the first thing you should see after you click OK to create the tag file is a message on the message line saying "Scanning for files to tag..." (something like that).  Once background tagging finishes scanning for files, then you can expect to see it ticking through the files as it tags them.  The status bar will show a clock highlighted in green until background tagging is completely finished building the tag file.  If you are still seeing green, then SlickEdit is probably still working on listing all the thousands of files under the boost directory.

RSanford

• Community Member
The path to the source files is C:\Program Files (x86)\Boost\boost_1_58_0\boost. As advised, the add tag file options: generate references and tag files in background when possible have been unchecked. After clicking the OK button, the SE message line displays Background tagging is complete for tag file 'Boost_1_58_0.vtg.'
No files are listed for the Boost tag file.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
OK, I was finally able to reproduce this problem on my machine.  I am attaching a hot fix.  This fix will be integrated into the first cumulative hot fix shipped for 19.0.2 after the release is finalized.

RSanford

• Community Member
Dennis,
Thank you. The hotfix corrected the problem.