Author Topic: incremental search for open file?  (Read 4457 times)

dav

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
incremental search for open file?
« on: February 16, 2007, 02:19:55 AM »
Is there an incremental search for open file, like (typically) control-shift-n on Intellij Idea?

I found the find-file command and bound it to a key, but it does not do what I'm looking for.

In Idea, ctrl-shift-n brings up a text input popup, and as you type, it pulls all matching filenames from the project (using pattern matching) into a select list, so you can quickly open a file by just typing part of its name.

On a related question, how do I find out what all the commands under tools->options->key-bindings do? The help browser is difficult to navigate; I could not find anything about find-file there.

I am evaluating SEv11 in hopes that it can be at least as good of an IDE as IntelliJ Idea for ruby programming. If so I will try to convince my team to switch.

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: incremental search for open file?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:16:51 AM »
'project-load' or 'Project->Open Files from Project' is providing similar functionality.
But v12 aka. SE2007 comes with a number of great improvements (not only) in this area (soon).

HS2

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: incremental search for open file?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:31:29 AM »
On a related question, how do I find out what all the commands under tools->options->key-bindings do? The help browser is difficult to navigate; I could not find anything about find-file there.

In the key bindings dialog, select the command and click the "Cmd help" button.  The help file should open at the relevant item  - occasionally there won't be anything.  In the find files dialog, click the help button (you can also press F1 in most slick dialogs to get help) to get help on the dialog.  You can also type help find-file on the slick command line (or help some-command-name).  In slick V12, the help info for a command name appears directly in the key bindings dialog, including clickable links.

I find the slick user guide adobe pdf document easier to use if you're doing searches - chm search capability is about 10 years out of date in my opinion.

There's also some macros around for incremental searching for an open buffer - including my GFileman toolbar that I posted a while ago and plan to update one of these days.  As HS2 said, Slick V12 provides this too.

Graeme