Author Topic: Opening a workspace causes multiple blank windows to open  (Read 3782 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Opening a workspace causes multiple blank windows to open
« on: June 30, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »
If I start SE or open a workspace, at least a half dozen blank windows open all over my screens.  How do I stop this?  I've uninstalled and reinstalled SE but it didn't help.

The windows have the vertical menu bar on the left side but nothing else in them.

SlickEdit Pro 2014 (v19.0.2.5 64-bit)

Serial number: redacted
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\19\slickedit.lic

Build Date: April 10, 2015
Emulation: CodeWright

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 40% Load, 6598MB/16265MB Physical, 7496MB/32528MB Page File, 398MB/8388607MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050

Project Type: (Other)
Language: .c (C/C++)
Encoding: Automatic

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 19.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,1914351MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\rbennet\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\19.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,1914351MB free)
Migrated from: C:\Users\rbennet\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\19.0.1\

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Opening a workspace causes multiple blank windows to open
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:31:57 PM »
Close the workspace and try deleting the .vpwhist for the workspace you had open.

jorick

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 01:06:41 PM »
That didn't work.  The windows still open when I run SE even before I open a workspace.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 01:07:54 PM »
exit slickedit and delete vrestore.slk. vrestore.slk and .vpwhist files both store auto-restore data.

jorick

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »
That got rid of the windows, but it also got rid of all my toolbars and tool windows.  There's gotta be a better way to recover than trash my entire setup.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:16:06 PM »
The vrestore.slk file format isn't great. It can be edited but it's easy to make a mistake which corrupts the whole file (I've even messed this up). Eventually we will change the format so it's more editable. It's on our todo list.

jorick

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:48:42 AM »
My computer just BSODed (not unusual, I develop software) and when I restarted SE, all my settings were gone again.  No toolbars, no tool windows, no files, no workspace.  It completely reset to factory defaults.  Rather than spend another half hour to restore my settings (and have them blasted next time my computer shuts down), I restored vrestore.slk from the trash bin.  Now the blank windows are back.  Can you tell me what in vrestore.slk is causing those windows so I can fix it?  I can't afford to have SE reset again.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 02:01:04 AM »
It would be easier to start over again and then make a backup of a good vrestore.slk just in case you have another problem. Without debugging a copy of your vrestore.slk I wouldn't be able to tell if it was even in an editable portion of the file. The tool window layout is not editable and that's where the problem might be.

jorick

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 03:50:35 PM »
This may help.

If I have files open in child windows and then close and reopen SE, the blank windows are the child windows and the files that were in them went to the SE parent window.  I can return the files to the child window by dragging them there and dropping them in the yellow square that appears.  Doing this "reattaches" them to the child so that the next time SE is opened, that window doesn't appear blank.  So a crash causes SE to lose track of the child window and dragging the file to it fixes it.

How did I find this out?  Let's just say that YouTube and Minecraft running on Windows 7 DON'T play well together...