Author Topic: Search dialog not retaining sizing in SlickEdit Pro 2014 (v19.0.2.5 64-bit)  (Read 2628 times)

andrewm568

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
I've noticed this one ever since moving to this Slickedit version, but only just got around to reporting it.

Often when I open the search dialog it opens much too small (see attached example). Even if I resize it, then it doesn't retain the new size after closing and reopening Slickedit, and sometimes even within the same Slickedit session.

This isn't major, but it's certainly annoying

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 47
Re: Search dialog not retaining sizing in SlickEdit Pro 2014 (v19.0.2.5 64-bit)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 08:44:36 pm »
This will be fixed in the next version (TBA).

++rodney

andrewm568

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:15:29 pm »
Good to know.

Tbh I hadn't reported it previously because I thought it would have been noticed / reported already. But given the current rev was released in April I would have expected the fix to have been released by now.

andrewm568

• Community Member
This is still not fixed in "the next version" - in my case v20.0.1.3

Can we get another update please?

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
I assure you that this was indeed fixed in v20. As a matter of fact it is so fixed that I cannot reproduce it (yes I tried).

1. Make sure you did not run v19 by mistake (some users have multiple versions installed). Look at Help>About.
2. Is it easily reproducible? Do I have to repeatedly bring up the tool-window until it reproduces the issue?
3. Try a clean config (vs.exe -sc c:\temp-config). Does it reproduce?
4. Paste your Help>About information.
5. Anything else out-of-the-ordinary about your system? Window manager addons, etc.? If so, have you tried disabling them and reproducing?

That's all I've got for now.

andrewm568

• Community Member
Thanks for the fast response.

1) It's definitely v20.0.1.3 64-bit - it's my only version currently installed.

2) Well it's happened multiple times, but just as in the OP, it's not every time. I just tried restarting SE, then restarting my PC - neither caused the failure. So I need to work on trying to nail down the conditions under which it recurs

3) Deferred until I can reproduce on demand

4) SlickEdit Pro 2015 (v20.0.1.3 64-bit)

Serial number: WB930628
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\20\slickedit.lic

Build Date: December 20, 2015
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 43% Load, 3485MB/8075MB Physical, 3751MB/16148MB Page File, 329MB/8388607MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 2560 x 1600, 1600 x 900

Project Type: Php
Language: .php (HTML)
Encoding: Automatic

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 20.0.1\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,96321MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\andrewm\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\20.0.1\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,96321MB free)
Migrated from: C:\Users\andrewm\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\19.0.2\

5) Nothing out of the ordinary

andrewm568

• Community Member
I think I've worked out when this problem occurs - it seems to be related to changing display monitors.

I use a laptop. In my office, my primary display is a large external monitor (2560x1600), whereas at home I just use my laptop display (1600x900). Using SE in the office with everything working OK, then going home and using SE; when I open the Search | Find in Files dialog, the dialog is displaying much too small (there is plenty of screen real estate for it). After manually resizing. everything works fine then, until I go back to the office, wherein when I re-open the same dialog, it is again displayed too small again. Rinse, repeat.

- Andrew

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
I can believe that. This is definitely a limitation right now. We would have to store original geometry, or geometry ratios, in order to address this. This is an issue for dialogs as well as tool windows. This has been logged.

++rodney

andrewm568

• Community Member
Understood. But assuming it's resetting back to some default settings for that particular dialog, can the defaults for that dialog be made large enough to accommodate all the content?! (Subject to available screen real estate anyway). Tbh I would never need to resize that dialog, if it was sized correctly in the first place.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
Does it look like it is resetting to a default size? If you open _tbfind_form from the form editor, is the width the same?

I don't think this is the problem.

andrewm568

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 05:50:31 am »
I think you're right.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 377
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:03:39 pm »
You could launch SlickEdit via a script which copies in the vrestore.slk file for that monitor. On exit, the script needs to copy the new version back.