Author Topic: xml file hangs on app start  (Read 4585 times)

astromme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
xml file hangs on app start
« on: October 05, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
If I have an xml file open, SlickEdit hangs for ~30 seconds while it tries to load something from the xmlns.  I have an outgoing firewall and as long as I have an xml file open at start, it hangs.  If I close the file then start SlickEdit, it fires right up.

This has been around a while.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: xml file hangs on app start
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:47:10 PM »
Are you getting any messages in your Output tool window once the file is loaded?  Is 'Use scheme for color coding' under Document > XML Options > Color Coding in the 'Language' tab?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:58:24 PM »
By default SlickEdit tries to read your XML schema file for color coding and auto completions. You can add ".xml" to the def_xml_no_schema_list macro variable to avoid timeouts for inaccessible schema files.

astromme

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
Eventually, I see "Document is valid".

When I select Document > XML Options...  I don't get a color coding choice - it goes to Languages > XML/Text Languages > XML > General where I don't see that option.

Also, after the file opens, I see a tooltip style error at the bottom that says something along the lines of "Warning" "DTD 'file' not found".

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:49:50 PM »
So that sounds like the auto-validation, which will try to access the DTD if there are no local file mappings for the DTD.  To disable that, then go to the Document -> XML Options, and then go to the Formatting page and uncheck "Auto validate on open".   

For files that you want the validation to run on, even when the network can't be reached, you have to add mappings from URLs to local copies of the DTD files via the Tools -> Options -> Network and Internet Options -> URL Mappings config page.

astromme

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:51:03 PM »
By default SlickEdit tries to read your XML schema file for color coding and auto completions. You can add ".xml" to the def_xml_no_schema_list macro variable to avoid timeouts for inaccessible schema files.

Thanks for the workaround.. will it still load if it can or just skip it entirely?

IMHO correct behavior is to load and timeout eventually without the hang.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:52:48 PM by astromme »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »
It will still load.